Interdisciplinary Studies Major
We know deciding on the perfect major can be tricky, even impossible if the path you want to follow requires knowledge of multiple disciplines. That’s why we developed the interdisciplinary studies major, which gives you the freedom to design a unique academic program to serve your particular interests and professional goals.
A Major That Fits You
Your future is as broad as your interests. The interdisciplinary studies major at Goshen College lets you design a major that meets your specific goals and objectives. Ideal for someone looking for a niche area of study or an education spanning two or more disciplines, the interdisciplinary majors allows you to obtain a bachelor’s degree by selecting three areas of concentration. You can use courses from any discipline on campus to satisfy the requirements.
The program is flexible enough to accommodate a variety of career interests yet structured enough to provide focus and direction. With careful planning, you can use the interdisciplinary major to prepare for a wide range of career paths or graduate school options.
Design Customized Studies to Fit Your Career Goals
Interdisciplinary studies majors are perfect for students who have a clear idea of their career aspirations but need the flexibility to tailor their education to different disciplines to meet those goals without working on a double major. With careful planning, you can use your bachelor’s degree to prepare for a wide range of future careers, pursue your master’s degree or more.
Students interested in pursuing careers that combine science, business, political science, environmental studies, health sciences, computer science, government, nonprofit, social work, visual arts, fine arts, entertainment, and other fields, may find an interdisciplinary studies major is the right fit for them.
The Freedom to Choose Any Combination of Subject Matter
A major in interdisciplinary studies requires choosing three areas of concentration and including a minimum of 15 credit hours from each core curriculum. At least nine credit hours must be core courses defined by the department where each concentration is housed.
You will need to carefully plan your course of study to ensure that you meet all of the requirements for the interdisciplinary studies major.
Your Options are Endless with an Interdisciplinary Studies Major
So, this leaves you with a choice. Which three will it be? Art, graphic design, and multimedia communication? Economics, women’s studies, and psychology? Journalism, PJCS (peace, justice, and conflict studies), and environmental science?
Fill out the information request form below to learn more and take the first step in designing a major that’s perfect for you.
of Goshen College students study abroad
average salary of GC graduates 10 years out
Number of majors that you will choose to design your program
Students & Alumni
Majors & Minors
- Accounting Major & Minor
- Agroecology Minor
- Anabaptist-Mennonite Studies Minor
- Art Major & Minor
- Bible and Religion Major & Minor
- Biology Major
- Broadcasting Major & Minor
- Business Major & Minor
- Chemistry Major & Minor
- Communication Major & Minor
- Computer Science Major & Minor
- Conflict Transformation Studies Minor
- Criminal Justice & Restorative Justice Major - New!
- Deaf Studies Major & Minor - New!
- Disability Studies Minor - New!
- Education: Elementary Major
- Education: Secondary Major
- Engineering Physics Major
- English Major & Minor
- Entrepreneurship Minor
- Environmental & Marine Science Major
- Exercise Science Major & Minor
- Film Production Major
- Game Development Minor
- Global Economics Minor
- Global Studies Minor
- Graphic Design Major & Minor
- Health Minor
- History Major & Minor
- Information Technology Major & Minor
- Interdisciplinary Studies Major
- Journalism Major & Minor
- Marketing Major & Minor
- Mathematics Major & Minor
- Molecular Biology and Biochemistry Major
- Multimedia Communication Minor
- Music Major & Minor
- Music for Social Change Minor & Track
- Music in Worship Minor
- Musical Theater Minor
- Nursing Major
- Peace and Justice Studies Minor
- Peace, Justice & Conflict Studies Major
- Philosophy Minor
- Physical Education Major & Minor
- Physics Major
- Piano Pedagogy Minor
- Political Studies Minor
- Pre-Architecture Track
- History Pre-Law Major
- Pre-Dentistry Track
- Pre-Medicine Track
- Pre-Pharmacy Track
- Pre-Physical Therapy Track
- Pre-Veterinary Track
- Psychology Major & Minor
- Public Health Major & Minor - New!
- Public Relations Major & Minor
- Recreation and Sport Minor
- Sign Language Interpreting Major
- Social Policy and Advocacy Minor
- Social Work Major
- Sociology Major & Minor
- Spanish Major & Minor
- Sport Management Major & Minor
- Sustainability Management Major & Minor
- Sustainability Studies Major & Minor
- Sustainable Food Systems Major
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Major & Minor
- Theater Major & Minor
- Theater Education Minor - New!
- Theological Studies and Christian Ministries Minor
- Women’s and Gender Studies Minor
- Writing Major & Minor