English Learners License (online)
A Program Designed with Full-Time Teachers in Mind
As a teacher, you fill many roles in the lives of your students. With an English Learners (EL) licensure addition from Goshen College, you’ll get the tools you need to support English language learners from kindergarten through 12th grade. Our program is designed with the full-time teacher in mind: take one course at a time online and complete the program in just ten months.
- Current teachers in Indiana can apply for Indiana Teachers of English Language Learners (I-TELL) funding for full financial support for tuition, books and material fees to complete licensure coursework. More information here.
Professional Development for Teachers of English Learners
The Goshen College English Learners licensure program is designed for teachers who want to add an EL endorsement to their current teaching license. Through this program, working teachers develop the skills and knowledge they need to effectively teach English language learners in a variety of classroom contexts. You will also have the opportunity to put your new skills into practice through assignments carried out in your own classroom.
Gain the skills needed to:
- Assess second language proficiency levels
- Understand the impact of culture on English language learning
- Develop lesson plans that meet the needs of ELLs
- Implement strategies for teaching reading, writing, listening, speaking, and language acquisition
- Advocate for English Learners
Our curriculum is collaboratively designed and taught by Goshen College education faculty and EL teachers in partner schools. This helps us ensure that we’re integrating the most current research with on-the-ground experiences in schools.
This convenient program is designed with the full-time teacher in mind:
- Classes meet synchronously by Zoom one evening per week.
- Current teachers in Indiana can apply for Indiana Teachers of English Language Learners (I-TELL) funding for full financial support for tuition, books and material fees to complete licensure coursework. I-TELL will provide the financial support directly to the college, so there is no cost to the teacher to participate. More information here.
- The affordable tuition cost for non-Indiana teachers: $495 per credit.
- Cohorts begin in August each year and finish the following May (10 months).
- Fieldwork assignments can be carried out in your existing classroom and school.
- Our program addresses all state content standards.
Course of Study
All courses meet online via Zoom and/or asynchronously via our learning management system. Zoom meetings allow you to exchange ideas with colleagues and professors and discuss what you’re learning. Asynchronous assignments allow you to work on course content according to your own schedule.
|Educ 425||4 credits||Methods of Teaching English Language Learners – Tuesdays, 7:00-9:30 p.m.|
|Engl 310||3 credits||Intro to Linguistics – Tuesdays 7:00-9:30 p.m.|
|Educ 450||2 credits||Professional Capstone – Tuesdays 7:00-9:30 p.m.|
HEAR FROM A GRADUATE OF OUR PROGRAM
Karen Yoder, a high school teacher and completer of our English Learner's Licensure program, shares her favorite parts of her Goshen College coursework.
SEE OUR POSITIVE OUTCOMES
We ensure that our program addresses all state standards for EL licensure and prepares teachers for the Praxis exam. View our program outcome data below, including participants’ evaluation of our program and our consistently successful testing data.