Master of Arts in Environmental Education
Goshen College offers an immersive 11 month residency graduate program that culminates in a Master of Arts degree in Environmental Education. Study and live at the college’s 1,189 acre nature preserve – Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center – which is among the best-assembled land preserves and one of the largest private preserves in Indiana. Join a small cohort of aspiring passionate educators in a holistic, enriching experience through academic courses, ecological field work, and incorporating inquiry-based education by teaching PreK-12 programs!
What Makes Us Distinct?
Become a leader in education and contribute to the care, restoration and preservation of our environment.
Live and Learn in the Field
Combine dynamic and challenging learning with extensive teaching experiences on site, by:
- Exploring the outdoor classroom
- Conducting ecological field work and obtaining land management training
- Gaining opportunities and skills in principles of Environmental Education
- Actively participating in leadership and program management training
- Teaching PreK-12 and adult public programs
Live and Learn About Sustainability
Become a leader and educator who helps build sustainable communities wherever you are:
- Design a multi-faceted research project with a professor – from conducting restorative ecology in local schools to creating interpretive trail signs
- Spend February on Andros Island, Bahamas
- Attend national and regional conferences and workshops
- Visit and learn about other professional and/or field organizations tackling environmental issues throughout the Great Lakes Region
Live and Learn at Merry Lea
- Complete a Master of Arts degree in 11 months
- Work closely with faculty and a small cohort of other passionate students
- No GRE scores required
- 8 core classes
Whether you are beginning your career or continuing a lifelong profession in environmental education, our curriculum develops your skills to work with schools, businesses, parks, federal agencies, non-profit advocacy groups, churches, and communities. Transform your passion with a long-term commitment to care for the environment while inspiring others.