Welcome to one of the most significant student leadership opportunities Goshen College has to offer. Thank you for considering joining the Residence Life team. Here you will find some of the expectations that come with these positions so that you are able to thoughtfully consider your desire to commit to this task.
Effective Residence Life staff are interested in the students that reside on their floors. They are creative and energized by social interactions with other residents and staff members. They are fun-loving, dedicated, committed to the standards, mature, positive, dependable, and courageous.
If the above attributes describe you, we invite you to submit an application to join our team for the 2022-2023 academic year.
The Residence Life department is seeking applicants for the Resident Assistant (RA) position for the 2022-23 school year. Students who enjoy building relationships and engaging with their peers in a variety of contexts are ideal candidates. Primary responsibilities include leadership of a residence hall unit (typically a floor), fostering a healthy community within the residence halls, and planning and implementing programming for residential students. RAs will work alongside a team of 3-5 other RAs under the supervision of a Resident Director (RD).
Provide Leadership for a Residence Hall Unit
- Arrive early at the beginning of each semester to participate in training, prepare to open the residence halls, and welcome residents.
- Stay until residents have gone at the end of each semester (or May Term) to check residents out of their rooms and close the residence halls.
- Report problems with facilities and help to maintain an attractive and safe environment.
- Be a role model in both your on-campus and off-campus behavior.
- Attend the fall Student Life retreat and residence hall staff orientation prior to the arrival of other students on campus.
- Participate in weekly individual and/or group meetings with your RD.
- Establish and maintain regular contact with other RAs in your residence hall to develop a strong leadership team.
- Participate in any other training sessions that may be scheduled throughout the year.
- RAs will be expected to demonstrate support for the Mission of Goshen of College as well as those of Student Life and the Residence Life Departments.
Fostering a Healthy Community within the Residence Halls
- Be willing to be a friend, listener, and advocate for each member of your floor.
- Assist in the identification and referral of students to appropriate on-campus resources.
- Transmit information and policy from the Student Life office to residents.
Articulate, interpret and enforce college policies.
- Report standards violations to your RD and work cooperatively with him/her to respond effectively.
- Schedule and lead floor meetings as necessary.
- Identify patterns of unhealthy behaviors among residents and work with your RD to identify and/or develop solutions.
Planning and Implementing Programming for Residential Students
- Put on a number of required floor events each month that align with the programming goals of the Residence Life department.
- Develop programs and activities that contribute to residents’ social, spiritual, and intellectual growth.
- Assist in the planning and implementing of department-wide programs and events alongside the entire Res Life team.
- Other duties as assigned by the Resident Directors, the Director of Student Life Operations, or the Dean of Students.
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student for the fall 2022 and spring 2023 semesters in order to be eligible for this role.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Willingness and ability to work with students from a variety of backgrounds.
- An ability to demonstrate sound judgment.
- GPA of 2.50 strongly preferred
- Previous experience as a residential student at Goshen College is strongly preferred.
RAs will be paid for 40 hours per month at an hourly rate of $8.25.
- Complete the RA application prior to 2/4/2022.
- Send link to the reference form to the following individuals asking for them to submit a reference on your behalf:
- ICC professor or academic advisor – Required
- Your current RA or another student leader (club leader, T.A., choral or orchestra assistant, athletic team captain, NSO leader, etc.) – Required
- Previous employer – Optional
- You will receive information regarding the interview process after your application has been submitted.