Rollerblading, skateboarding and scooter policy
Anyone is permitted to rollerblade on Goshen College campus sidewalks, roadways and parking lots. Skateboarding and scooters are permitted only for Goshen College students who have signed a “waiver of responsibility” form available in the student life office. Pedestrians always have the right-of-way. Rollerblades, skateboards and scooters may not be used or worn inside of buildings. Campus architecture (steps, ledges, benches, etc.) may not be used for stunts. Special maneuvers should be confined to unused parking areas away from the public. No special structures may be built for stunts or maneuvers.
Campus security has been asked to assist the college in enforcing these regulations.
Sidewalk chalking guidelines
- Sidewalk chalking is restricted to Goshen College students.
- Sidewalk chalking is for the sole purpose of announcing Goshen College events and is intended as a means by which individuals or organizations can announce those events to the wider campus community.
- Chalking is limited to sidewalks at two designated areas: (on the sidewalk area at the northeast entrance to the Union Building and on the sidewalk area at the east entrance to Westlawn).
- Persons responsible for chalking must identify themselves on the chalking announcement, either individually or as an organization. Those persons are also responsible for the removal of chalk after the announced event has occurred or three days after the message is written, whichever occurs first.
- Exceptions to the policy should be directed to the vice president for student life and dean of students. They will consult with Student Senate officers before making a final decision.
Posting of notices
Goshen College has a campus policy that notices may not be taped on doors, windows, or doors with windows. If notices are on these areas, the administration has directed custodians to remove them. Notices are to be put on bulletin boards.
College Policy Regarding Sales/Solicitations
Individuals on campus may not solicit or sell on campus for personal gain. Soliciting donations, making sales of goods/services, or recruiting are restricted on College property unless given prior approval from Student Life administration. The only vendors on campus are the regularly authorized college bookstore, food services, and vending machines. Student organizations such as clubs, Student Senate, Campus Activities Council and other student organizations may obtain permission to sell on campus through the Student Life office if their sales are for the educational benefit of the greater campus community.
Policies developed for the use of College facilities by ELC program activities must be approved by President’s Council and are not excluded by this College polity regarding sales/solicitations.
Stopped train policy
Trains that are stopped on campus are a nuisance and create stress for students, faculty and staff that are trying to get to the other side. Faculty and staff are understanding of this inconvenience and the prospect of being late is not a reason to risk one’s life.
Crossing stopped trains by crawling over or under them is a great safety risk and is not allowed on Goshen College campus under any circumstances. There is a $100 fine for crossing a stopped train on campus. No warnings will be given.