Please read through the following requirements and guidelines before filling out the Student Apartments application linked at the bottom of this page.
Don’t Have a Group?
If you do not have a group and are still interested in living in the Romero Apartments, fill out the form below to be considered for transfer groups: https://goo.gl/forms/yOhJGMwDtJ84JzZn1
Apartment Capacity Requirements
2-Capacity = Full Capacity Fall/Spring (Unless Both Occupants are Fall Only)
3-Capacity = Minimum of 3 students (Allowed one student absent per semester)
3-4 Capacity Lofts = Minimum of 3 Students for both semesters (4-Students = $500 Discount)
4- Capacity = Minimum of 4-students (Allowed one student absent per semester)
5-Capacity = Minimum of 5-students (Allowed one student absent per semester)
**All students absent for one semester must be on a Goshen College academic program such as SST, Internships, Or Early Graduation.
Romero Student Apartments Costs
Traditional SA at Capacity………………………. $3525
Traditional SA Below Capacity …………………. $4025
Traditional SA Above Capacity (Shared RM) ….…. $3025
Loft Style Apartment (3-Residents) ……………. $3525
Loft Style Apartment (4-Residents) ……….…… $3025
Senior Discount Rate …………………………… $2470
Important Apartment Considerations:
- By the start of the fall semester, all apartment applicants must be two years removed since high school graduation.
- The selection process gives priority to students in this order: documented ADA accommodations, married students (both enrolled full-time), and years since high school.
- In cases where a member of a group is on SST, graduates early, or participates in an off-campus Goshen College academic program, the apartment must remain at 2/3 of its original capacity.
- The number of students in a group should be (at minimum) equal to the desired capacity of their chosen apartment. You will not be permitted to sign-up for an apartment without meeting the minimum apartment capacity.
- All listed 4-6 capacity apartments are counted as 4-person capacity with optional expansion of up to 6-residents.
- All 2-person apartments must maintain capacity for both semesters unless both residents plan to vacate after the fall semester.
- All 4th-floor loft apartments must maintain a minimum of 3-students for both fall and spring semesters.
- Falling below capacity at any time (due to withdrawals, transfers, etc) subjects all remaining residents to an additional $500 fee per semester. There are no capacity requirements for May Term.
- Groups not able to meet capacity will either need to sign up for traditional residence hall spaces or opt to pay a premium rate of $500 (per resident) a semester for the additional space. This would guarantee an apartment with no expectations to add additional residents provided the apartment remains at 2/3 capacity for both semesters.
Desired Outcomes for Life in the Student Apartments:
- Demonstrated responsibility and support for “GC’s commitment to community standards.”
- Friends willingly encourage and accept responsibility for each other. Respect others’ right to express their needs, values, opinions, and ideas.
- Students respect the autonomy of others while working towards cooperation in resolving conflicts. Some may have to allow others time to sort out reactions before responding.
- Individuals respect the right of others to ask that students change their behaviors for the good of the group.
- The group chooses to live together and works at getting to know one another. This means allowing each other to make mistakes, to grow, and to change.
- Visitation polity: 24-hour open house in public areas; 24-hour open house in all areas for group members; 10:00 a.m. – 12: 00-midnight open house for non-members in bedrooms. No overnight guests of the opposite gender.
- The Resident Director will work with the residents throughout the year.
- A contact person will serve as a communication link between the apartment and the Residence Life Coordinator.
- Individuals in the apartments are responsible for regularly cleaning their own units. Some custodial equipment (e.g. mop bucket, vacuum, etc.) is supplied.
- Students are responsible for furnishings and appliances within the unit. Furniture designated for indoor use is prohibited for outdoor use. Take care to maintain hallway furnishings designated for residents’ use.
- Groups must be ready to have the college use units during the semester breaks to house other students or persons involved in GC programs, and are expected to cooperate with the preparation of units for use.
- Group members must purchase at minimum the 65 Block meal plan. Groups are encouraged to prepare and eat meals together.
- Interested apartment residents may be invited to apply to become an RA for the Student Apartment Community.
Apartment Housing Deposit
Each member of your group must submit a $200 Room Deposit. You can submit your deposit online at www.goshen.edu/services or in person at the cashier’s desk in the basement of the AD Building. Apartment applications will not be processed until all members of your group have submitted their deposits. This deposit is non-refundable after units have been assigned; this deposit will then be held as a damage deposit until after the end of the academic year. If the condition of the house is found to be acceptable after checkout, the damage deposit will be refunded to you at the conclusion of the academic year.
Standards Response Statement
Prepare a typed, 3 paragraph response to be included in your online application that includes the following (One Per Group):
- Indicate how your group has approached the Standards in the past.
- Your group’s current commitment to the Standards.
- How you will address potential violations of Standards as a group next year.
Angled Corner Apartments Video Tour
Open Floor Plan Apartments Video Tour
4th Floor Loft Apartments Video Tour