The National Immigrant Justice Center (NIJC) is seeking an intern to assist with direct legal services and outreach to the immigrant population in Goshen. The NIJC provides legal services to those seeking asylum, unaccompanied immigration children, immigrants who are survivors of domestic violence, and other needs for low-income Indiana immigrants.
The Essential Duties and Responsibilities of this Position:
- Conducts intake with individuals and families seeking immigration benefits
- Conducts legal and factual research to determine legal eligibility for immigration benefits
- Drafts applications, affidavits and letters and prepares supporting documentation
- Prepares materials for submission to Department of Homeland Security, Immigration Court, or other entities as appropriate
- Coordinates legal referrals
- Conducts clerical to foster case management
- Assists with outreach and community education
- In accord with organizational policies and the ethical standards required of the legal profession, the Code of Professional Responsibility, preserves client confidentiality, accounts for client monies, and avoids conflicts of interest.
- Other duties as assigned
A successful candidate will be one who:
- Is available for a minimum of 10 hours per week
- Is proficient in Spanish
- Has an interest in working with immigrants, refugees, and asylum-seekers
- Has excellent writing, editing, organizational and computer skills
- Has the ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and perform well under strict deadlines
If a student is interested in applying they should email a resume, cover letter, writing sample, and academic transcript to Mara Weaver at firstname.lastname@example.org .