Anna Smucker ’22

Meet Anna Smucker ’22, a graphic design major with minors in music and bible and religion from Goshen, Indiana.

“Receiving music scholarships has pushed me to try new things. I took voice lessons for the first time [freshman year], which boosted my confidence as an individual and performer on stage! I also really appreciate the Art Department and the feedback that I’ve received from my professors. Growing up with music and art as important parts of my life, I am grateful for the chance I have been given at Goshen to be able to do both.

I’ve grown a lot by taking classes within and outside of my major, such as Keith Graber Miller’s Bible and Religion classes. Being in a setting with people from different backgrounds and faiths has meant that I learned from other people, and also had the space to think about my own values, and put them into practice. This was also a crucial part of my SST experience in the Southwest this summer! I am appreciative of being given the opportunity to participate with others in learning about Navajo and Hopi culture, language, and history while taking a step back to put my ‘privilege in check.’ My senior art project is based on this experience in the Navajo and Hopi Reservations. It was valuable to have courses with Sarah Augustine, before SST, who works with Dismantling the Doctrine of Discovery. These classes gave us valuable background on cultural norms in the Navajo and Hopi Reservations. I’m beyond grateful to have had this experience.

I get a lot of questions about my major and minors, but I think it’s a good combination! I have loved incorporating my many interests into different areas of my life, leading music at Camp Amigo and participating in Parables. After I graduate, I plan to be a part of the Shalom Project in Lancaster, PA. I hope to do work that’s meaningful and makes an impact on social justice and environmental issues. With my Graphic Design, Bible, and Music background, I can combine all of these things!”