Joyce Bedsworth

Joyce Bedsworth
Joyce Bedsworth

View Joyce’s profile>>

What do you love most about teaching GC students?

I am passionate about seeing learning happen inside and outside of the classroom. It is so exciting for me to see students applying knowledge they learned in the classroom in a hospital setting while caring for patients. I love watching my students’ contributions in health care displayed around the world.

What excites you about nursing?

Bringing healing to others. How can we better serve those in need of health care?

What do you enjoy doing outside of your academic work?

Watching movies, playing with grandchildren, listening to books on tape, working as a volunteer at Center for Community Justice, gardening, getting coffee with friends.

How does the college’s vision (international, intercultural, interdisciplinary and integrative) connect or shape your teaching and work?

My life was changed by the Study-Service Term in Costa Rica when I was a student. Since then I have a passion to both see the world as those living in a place (not as a tourist) and create ways to empower the impoverished to a better, healthier lives. We have many interactive opportunities at the hospital to talk about poverty and how it affects decisions people make in their care.

How do you strive to make peace through your work and life?

I look for a balance but remember that I only have today to live–and that life is a gift.

Is there anything else you would like students to know about you?

I am here to help you grow and learn by setting high standards but offering much nurture.