iPad Program Information
All students in the undergrad program can receive an iPad from Goshen College so they can explore curricular and pedagogical innovation through e-Books and e-Textbooks, digital resources, the creation of multimedia e-portfolios, collaboration and productivity tools, and discipline-specific apps. We want to ensure that every student has access to a wifi-enabled device for completing academic work, but recognize that some students may already have the technology that they need. Therefore, we are allowing students the choice to opt out from receiving an iPad. The following criteria can help guide you in your decision of whether or not to opt out. Even if you meet the following opt-out criteria, it is not required that you opt out. Please note that choosing to receive an iPad, or choosing to opt out from receiving an iPad, will not impact your tuition and fees.
Note: If you will be majoring in any of the following areas, you should choose to receive an iPad:
Criteria for choosing to opt out:
- I already have an iPad.
- I already have a laptop (other than a Chromebook). My Windows computer operating system is Windows 8 or higher. Or, my Mac computer operating system is either Catalina 10.15, Mojave 10.14, High Sierra 10.13, or newer.
- My device is wifi capable.
- My device is capable of doing video recording with a built-in camera and microphone, and has adequate storage capacity to create the videos.
- My device is capable of document creation using either Microsoft Office apps or Google apps.
Step 1 – Declare your choice to receive or not receive an iPad by signing the iPad User Agreement
- You will need to sign in with your Goshen College credentials to access your personalized iPad User Agreement. If you are currently signed into another Google account, you must first sign out of that account, including signing out of Chrome if you are using the Chrome browser. If you need assistance with this process, please contact the Help Desk at (574) 535-7700.
- Click here to access your personalized iPad User Agreement.
- Sign in with your Goshen College email address and password.
- Declare your choice to receive or not receive an iPad.
- If receiving an iPad, click the agreement box next to each paragraph to electronically initial each area.
- Enter in the date and type in your name at the bottom.
- Click the Submit button.
Step 2 – If you will be receiving an iPad, you need to obtain an Apple ID
You will need an Apple ID in order to set up your iPad and install applications. It is recommended that you associate your Apple ID with an email address other than your Goshen College email address, that way you can continue to use that same Apple ID beyond graduating from Goshen College. If you are from a country other than the U.S., you will need to create a new Apple ID that is U.S. based, therefore please wait until you have arrived into the United States before creating your Apple ID.
- if you don’t already have an Apple ID, go to https://support.apple.com/apple-id/ and click on “Create Your Apple ID.”
- if you already have an Apple ID, verify that you can log in by going to https://support.apple.com/apple-id, and sign in.
- if you already have an Apple ID, but cannot remember the ID or the password, go to https://support.apple.com/apple-id click “Sign In” and then click on the “Forgot Apple ID or password” link, and then follow the prompts.
Step 3 – If you will be receiving an iPad, you will need to obtain a protective cover for your iPad
To help protect your iPad from possible scratches or breakage, you will be required to obtain a protective cover for your iPad. Because the choice of a protective cover for your iPad can be as individual as you are, we are leaving it up to you to decide which iPad cover best suits your style and taste. There are many brands and styles available to choose from, but as you choose, be sure that the cover provides adequate padded protection for the screen, covers the back of the iPad, and provides adequate padded protection to the corners of the iPad. The iPad model that you will receive is the 10.2-inch, 9th generation iPad (model # A2602), so make sure that the cover you choose is designed for this model of iPad. Remember, you are financially responsible for the care and protection of your iPad. Try to obtain an iPad cover before you arrive to campus so that you can put your iPad in it as soon as you receive your iPad.
iPad Keyboard and Accessories: This model of iPad can be used with the 1st generation Apple Pencil, and also the Apple Smart Keyboard. If you decide to purchase the Apple Smart Keyboard in lieu of a protective cover, please note that the keyboard (when closed) only protects the front of the iPad, and does not protect the back of the iPad. Therefore, it is recommend that you purchase a protective back cover for the iPad. We recommend this protective back cover from Amazon. The protective back cover works along with the Apple Smart Keyboard and has a stylus holder which fits the Apple Pencil, as well as most other stylus.
If you have questions about which protective cover to purchase, contact the college Help Desk at (574) 535-7700.
Step 4 – Receiving your iPad
Students who have chosen to receive an iPad will be given their iPad during check-in of New Student Orientation. Please be sure to sign your iPad Agreement, obtain an Apple ID or verify that you can sign into your Apple ID, and obtain a protective cover for your iPad before check-in.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Goshen College Help Desk at (574) 535-7700 Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. eastern time.