Caring for your iPad
- Never leave your iPad in the direct sunlight.
- Never leave your iPad in a location where it can be exposed to extreme heat or cold.
- If you iPad is swelling/bulging, it’s an indication that the battery is having issues and it needs immediate attention. Bring your iPad to the ITS Department asap for help.
- Clean the surface with a soft cloth, such as a microfiber cloth. No cleansers/chemicals!
Protecting your iPad
All students and employees are required to purchase a protective case/cover for their GC iPad. And you are expected to have the protective case/cover on your iPad at all times. If your iPad breaks and it is was not in a protective case/cover at the time of breakage, you may be accessed an additional fee to get the iPad replaced.
iPad Warranty Information
Goshen College iPads come with 1 year of standard Apple Care, which provides warranty coverage to hardware malfunctions not caused by breakage. Goshen College also self-insures the iPads, which means that we provide coverage for 2 breakage incidents while you are a student at GC, and there is a $60 fee that you will be responsible for with each incident. If your iPad breaks and it is was not in a protective case/cover at the time of breakage, you may be accessed an additional fee to get the iPad replaced.
If your iPad breaks, or there is a malfunction, bring it to ITS (basement of the Union building) for assistance with the warranty coverage.
- Power button/sleep button
- Volume buttons
- Home button
- Front camera
- Rear camera
- Headphone jack
- Dock connector
- Re-chargeable battery
- USB dock connector
- Power adapter
- Protective cover – not provided and required that you purchase one! Amazon.com is a great place to shop for covers.
Maximize battery life
- keep your device out of the sun/heat
- reduce the screen brightness
- set the screen to lock quickly
- use airplane mode when you don’t need Internet
- disable Bluetooth when you don’t need it
There are numerous options in the Settings area of the iPad. Below are a few of importance.
- Bluetooth – turn Bluetooth on or off when using Bluetooth devices, such as a keyboard
- Auto-lock – put the iPad in sleep mode to save battery life
- Passcode Lock – to prevent others from using your iPad. Can set passcode lock to require a password after specified amount of time.
- Software Update – updates for the operating system on the iPad. Install the update whenever prompted.
- Wifi – for troubleshooting wifi connections or selecting a wifi network to connect to.
- Mail, Contacts and Calendar – you can link your GC email and Calendar with these apps.
Purchasing Apps From The App Store
Purchases from the App Store are tied to your personal Apple ID account, therefore you are the owner of what you purchase.
Cloud Storage Services
Google Drive is the official cloud storage service supported by Goshen College. All students and employees will have their own Goshen College Google account.
Office Productivity Software
You will have access to Google Applications, Microsoft Applications, and more on your iPad. These apps will be loaded onto the iPad during the setup process.
If you need any support with using your iPad, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 574-535-7700, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org