The Prahlad Rai Biyani “Giving Something Back” Scholarship

Although family circumstances at the time hindered my grandfather, Prahlad Rai Biyani, from continuing his education beyond high school, he supported and sponsored the education of several individuals in his lifetime.  In addition to providing for my father’s education in the U.S., and for me, Raj Biyani, to earn my B.A. from Goshen College, my grandfather supported several other individuals in their quest for knowledge through education both in our native India and abroad.

Prahlad Rai Biyani was a visionary, an eternal optimist, and relentless in his pursuit of excellence.  These qualities served him well during an illustrious career in the Indian industrial community where he was instrumental in the growth of a number of companies.  He served in a variety of roles within Indian industry including a time as the head of Hindustan Motors, the largest automobile manufacturing factory in India, working in collaboration with General Motors.  He also served as the president of three paper mills and a rayon silk factory plus chairman of a cement factory, fertilizer manufacturer and a steel manufacturing facility.  In addition, he was a senior member of the Government of India Advisory Board for Technical Development.

Besides a philanthropic interest in educational causes, he had a well-rounded and holistic view of life with an interest in sports, the arts and religion.  As a philanthropist and a proponent of education, he always believed in giving something back to the industries, institutions and to the society in general that helped and supported him.  He believed in doing things for others and not simply satisfying one’s own needs and desires.  His values were very much in line with the Goshen College motto “Culture for Service”.

I am honored to establish The Prahlad Rai Biyani “Giving Something Back” award at Goshen College in memory of and in tribute to my grandfather.

Rajesh (Raj) Biyani, GC Class of 1992