The John D. and M Winifred Yordy Scholarship Fund

Friends of John, Goshen College Class of 1967 and Winnie (Hostetler) Yordy, GC Class of 1964, always remark on their dedication, care for others and their keen sense of humor which have carried them to other countries and then back to Goshen.  John grew up near St. Johns, Michigan and while his father wanted him to stay on the farm, his mother encouraged him to go to college.  Winnie grew up in Kalona, Iowa in a home that often welcomed visitors, loved music and deeply valued education.  Both were products of one-room schools, learning to teach others from a young age.

John and Winnie met at Goshen College and after John took two years off in the middle of his college education to serve with Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) in Mexico, they were married in 1966.  After John graduated, they headed to Nigeria with MCC’s Teachers Abroad program for a three-year term.  Upon returning to the States, John enrolled at Michigan State University where he earned his doctorate in organic chemistry.  They then moved to Ohio where John worked for The Lubrizol Corp. for several years.  In 1977 they returned to Goshen College where John took on the role of chemistry professor.

Over the next 31 years, John served Goshen College as chemistry professor, provost and two years as interim president.  During that time, they served together as Study-Service Term leaders in Honduras and Dominican Republic.  John’s former students attest to wonderful teaching and mentoring and to his keen, dry sense of humor.  Dr. Conrad Clemens, GC class of ’85, said “Dr. Yordy was, without question, one of my most influential professors at Goshen College.  His classes were difficult and he had high expectations for his students, but he was always consistent and fair. To do well in a class taught by Dr. Yordy gave one a true sense of accomplishment. Outside the classroom, Dr. Yordy was a remarkable mentor and friend.”

Dr. Barbara Meyer-Reed, GC ’85, remarked, “John Yordy was the most inspiring prof I ever had.  He was so passionate about his subject, it was infectious.”  And Dr. Winston Gerig, GC ’80, added, “John and Winnie had a profound influence on my college years, an influence that is still present today.  This includes many fond memories, but more importantly, part of my character.  Winnie and John, as my SST leaders in Honduras, achieved the perfect balance of temporary parents, tour guides, and mentors.”

Rebecca Stoltzfus, PhD, ’84, responded when asked about John, “One memory that I have of John as a professor of general chemistry is that he would exhort us to know the material “in our bones.  He wanted the core concepts to become part of our being.”  And chemistry professor Melodie Graber, ’92, wrote, “After my first G. Chem exam, I was surprised when I earned a lower grade than expected.  Although I had the correct final answers for some problems, Dr. Yordy did not give me full credit since I did not write a detailed explanation with correct units in my work.  He also wrote on my paper that I should come and see him.  In our conversation, I realized he expected excellence, hard work and a desire to attain high goals from his students. He knew I could do better and he encouraged more effort. He inspired his students with his passion and excitement for chemistry.”

After their three sons were older, Winnie went back to teaching and simultaneously pursued a master’s degree in special education, teaching severely emotionally handicapped children. She, like John, had a special way with her students and excelled at helping children make better choices and modifying their behaviors, while making learning fun.  Mary Schrock, GC class of ’74, a fellow teacher in Goshen, said, “Winnie was an incredibly dedicated teacher of all students; but her love and knowledge of working especially with those with emotional difficulties are unmatched in my experience.  She was tireless, loving and had very high expectations of all her students, and never gave up on any of them.  She truly had the heart, soul and expertise of a master teacher.”

John and Winnie continue to find joy and laughter in retirement – often with their grandchildren now – and they hope this scholarship in their names will provide for the bigger picture for future GC students.  Their lives have exemplified “Culture for Service” to their family, their students, the Mennonite Church, Goshen College community and to the world.  This Yordy Scholarship Fund will support new generations of students to carry that work forward, hopefully with the same love and laughter.