For incoming music students in 2018-19
Students interested in a music major or minor are eligible for Music Achievement Awards ranging from $2,000 to $10,000 annually. Ensemble Grants of $1,000 annually are now available for students not planning to major or minor. All instruments and voice parts are encouraged to apply.
Music Scholarship Audition Information
2017-18 Audition Dates
- Friday, November 10, 2017
- Friday, January 26, 2018
- Saturday, January 27, 2018
- Friday, March 9, 2018
We encourage a visit to campus to audition in person on one of the above dates. Auditions can also be heard on most Friday afternoons. Please contact the Music Department to arrange. Recorded auditions are also gladly accepted.
Music Scholarship Eligibilty
Music Department Achievement Awards ($2000 – $10,000) are available to:
- First-year students who will participate actively in the music department and who anticipate a music major or minor. For students who declare a minor or major in music after their first year, scholarships will be renewed for six additional semesters. Recipients must be eligible for admission to Goshen College and maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Transfer students who are declared music majors or minors and have a cumulative college GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- In addition to the Music Department Achievement Award, a student is eligible for one more award from the following list: Academic Scholarship, Anglemyer Education, Athletic, Gorsline Business/Communication/Theater, Swallen Missionary, and Tuition Discount Benefits. Goshen College limits merit awards so that more funds can be awarded on the basis of financial need. Applications are accepted for any number of awards.
Ensemble Grants ($1000) are available pending audition and ensemble need for:
- Incoming students who are ready to commit to continuous ensemble membership for their Goshen College tenure but are not planning to major or minor in music.
Procedure for Applying
- Complete an application for admission to Goshen College. (Online application is available here)
- Complete the Music Scholarship online application.
- Ask your music teacher to complete and submit the online reference form. One music reference is required.
- Audition at Goshen College on one of the dates listed above. Students who cannot audition in person will be asked to submit an audio or videotaped audition (online submission via YouTube is also acceptable).
- Each applicant should prepare an audition of 10 minutes, which can include vocal and/or instrumental performance.
- Applicants may audition in more than one area (voice/instrument). However, a music scholarship is normally granted in the area of greatest strength.
- Music selections should come from the standard core repertoire and should represent at least two contrasting styles and tempi per instrument.
- Vocalists are encouraged, but not required, to perform at least one selection in a foreign language.
- Pianists and vocalists are encouraged to perform from memory.
- Please note that, in the interest of time, the attending music faculty may cut off an audition at the end of 10 minutes. This will have no impact on the results of your audition.
- We will provide accompaniment if needed; please submit music for your accompanist along with your audition. No recorded accompaniments are permitted. Unaccompanied repertoire is allowed.
- If auditioning on an instrument for the Ensemble Grant, one of the selections can be an excerpt from an instrumental score.
- Auditionees will also take a short music theory placement exam that will be administered during the audition process.
Renewal of Music Scholarships
- Music Achievement Awards may be renewed for an additional six semesters after the first year by continuing to major or minor in music or music education at Goshen College, by maintaining a grade point average of at least 3.0 and by continuing core ensemble activities and lessons as prescribed by the music department chair in the award letter.
- Ensemble Grants will be renewed if commitment level remains strong. Ensemble grant recipients should plan to take applied lessons on their instrument (2 credit hours) at least once before the third year of the award.
To ensure that your application is processed expeditiously and that you have the best possible experience at your audition, the Music Department requests that applicants complete all steps by one week before the intended audition date.
Questions about the Music Scholarships or the audition procedures can be directed to Dustin George-Miller in the Goshen College Music Department: (574) 535-7361 or firstname.lastname@example.org