GC in the News: 2010
Note: This news archive is a few years old and –because many organizations have changed their online architecture or cleaned their archives since its writing– some urls may be broken.
Goshen Housing Authority records messy, but not bogus, Elkhart Truth, 12.30.10.
This Sunday on WNIT, Goshen gets its close-up, Elkhart Truth, 12.1.10.
VIDEO: Earth friendly dining program in full swing at Goshen College, WNDU-NBC 16, 11.30.10.
GIVING THANKS: GC leader enjoys many blessings in this world, Goshen News, 11.25.10.
GC students find energy idea exciting; company, not so much, Elkhart Truth, 11.24.10.
Room lives up to its potential for Goshen College artists, Elkhart Truth, 11.15.10.
Goshen College hears concerns about property plans, Elkhart Truth, 11.13.10.
Flu bug hits Goshen College hard, Elkhart Truth, 11.13.10.
Goshen professor examines challenges and promise of global Anabaptism,Bethel College News, 11.8.10.
Resourceful Amish adapt as farming declines, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, 11.7.10.
The arts scene has exploded in Goshen over the last few years, Elkhart Truth, 11.5.10.
AUDIO INTERVIEW: Steve Nolt, co-author of “The Amish Way: Patient Faith in a Perilous World”, WVPE 88.1FM, 10.8.10.
Soundtrack to War and Peace: Segment 3is an essay by GC Music Professor Beverly Lapp about the national anthem, To The Best of Our Knowledge, from Wisconsin Public Radio, 10.3.10.
Goshen College choir uses annual service day to get Chamberlain students thinking about college, Goshen News, 9.23.10.
Goshen College students spend term in Egypt’s stifling heat, Elkhart Truth, 9.20.10.
Goshen College to replace part of lawn with native plants, flowers, South Bend Tribune, 9.9.10.
Student committed to peace: Langley’s Liz Berg experienced arrest and friendship during a summer in the Middle East, Langley Advance, 9.7.10.
Student sells ads on vintage VW van, Goshen News, 8.30.10.
EDITORIAL: GC students arrive for a fresh start, Goshen News, 8.29.10.
Goshen College student’s 1970 VW van serves as billboard for local businesses, Elkhart Truth, 8.28.10.
Grandpa’s name is on the gym, but her mural hangs on the wall, Elkhart Truth, 8.2.10.
Student mural has connection to family, Goshen News, 8.2.10.
Goshen students will try to put a price on fairgrounds, Elkhart Truth, 7.13.10.
GC pays respects to former leader, Goshen News, 6.30.10.
Culture study remains close to students’ home, Elkhart Truth, 6.15.10.
Making a greener future possible; Goshen College seeks to expand green community, Fort Wayne News-Sentinel, 6.1.10.
Old and young pedal Bike-to-Work Week, Elkhart Truth, 5.27.10.
A study in contrasts, Elkhart Truth, 5.25.10.
‘Pippin’ gives students much to study about life, acting, South Bend Tribune, 5.15.10.
VIDEO: Study says Amish businesses most likely to succeed, WSJV-Fox 28, 5.14.10.
GC’s president of trees, Elkhart Truth, 4.27.10.
Goshen College proved to be a perfect match, Elkhart Truth, 4.26.10.
Sisters are both winners in graduation competition, Elkhart Truth, 4.26.10.
An end is now a start for Goshen College grads, Elkhart Truth, 4.26.10.
Purple pen leads sisters to GC, Goshen News, 4.26.10.
Goshen College commencement held Sunday, Goshen News, 4.26.10.
First students to receive master’s in nursing at GC, Goshen News, 4.25.10.
Possibility of underpass looking up, Goshen News, 4.13.10.
VIDEO: Proposed pedestrian railroad underpass on track, WSBT, 4.12.10.
Goshen College rail crossing back on track, Elkhart Truth, 4.12.10.
Amish Hoosiers exempt from health law, Fort Wayne Journal Gazette, 4.4.10.
National anthem coverage:
- OP-ED: Mennonite College Follows First Playing of National Anthem with St. Francis’ Peace Prayer, Sojourners God’s Politics blog by Sheldon Good ’09, 3.31.10.
- The National Anthem Debate at Goshen College: Dissent and Hospitality, Tradition and Inclusion, Journal of Religion, Conflict and Peace, Volume 3. Issue 1, Fall 2009.
- BLOG: Goshen College Gets (Civil) Religion, Religion in American History blog, By Steven P. Miller ’99, assistant professor of history, 3.25.10.
- College Breaks a Tradition of Silence Before Games, New York Times, 3.25.10.
- EDITORIAL: A moment of change done well, Goshen News, 3.25.10.
- GC officials host discussion after playing Star-Spangled Banner, Goshen News, 3.25.10.
- Perspectives on the anthem at Goshen College: A day after song was first played at school, pros, cons are outlined, Elkhart Truth, 3.25.10.
- BLOG: College causes stir playing national anthem for first time,CNN.com, 3.24.10.
- Tears of joy, pain as national anthem plays at Indiana college, USA Today, 3.24.10.
- The world gets a look at Goshen College, Goshen News, 3.24.10.
- It was ‘Play Ball’ and ‘Play the anthem’ at GC Tuesday, Goshen News, 3.24.10.
- GC plays national anthem before baseball game, Goshen News, 3.23.10.
- Interview with different points of view on the college’s decision,MSNBC, 3.23.10.
- Pacifist college begins playing national anthem, Associated Press (picked up by 200+ outlets), 3.23.10.
- VIDEO: Goshen College plays national anthem for the first time, WSBT-TV (CBS affiliate in South Bend, Ind.), 3.23.10.
- VIDEO: Star Spangled Banner rings out at Goshen College, WNDU-TV(NBC affiliate in South Bend, Ind.), 3.23.10.
- Goshen College plays National Anthem as people show dissent, support, The Elkhart Truth, 3.23.10.
- National anthem a 1st for Goshen College, Indianapolis Star, 3.23.10.(Photos)
- National anthem splits Indiana’s Goshen College, USA Today, 3.23.10.
- Anthem debuts at Goshen College, The Elkhart Truth, 3.23.10.
- Goshen to have peace prayer along with anthem at sports games,Mennonite Weekly Review, 3.22.10.
- Goshen College sets anthem policy; Statement of values, prayer to accompany instrumental version of ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’, The Elkhart Truth, 3.12.10.
- Prayer to follow anthem at Goshen College; Addition reflects Goshen College’s commitment to peace, Indianapolis Star, 3.11.10.
- OP-ED – Peace is Patriotic: Anabaptists and the National Anthem,Sojourners God’s Politics blog, by Duane Shank, 3.3.10.
- OP-ED – Mennonite College Will Now Play National Anthem Before Sporting Events, Sojourners God’s Politics blog, by Sheldon Good ’09, 3.1.10.
- Religion and Government News Roundup, Religion & Ethics Newsweekly (PBS), 2.26.10.
- Playing the National Anthem at a Mennonite College? The American Spectator, 2.25.10.
- EDITORIAL: Debate with a measure of grace, Mennonite Weekly Review, 2.22.10.
- Ind. college lifts 116-year ban on national anthem, Associated Press (picked up by 230+ outlets), 2.20.10.
- EDITORIAL: Patriotism, religious beliefs can co-exist, The Elkhart Truth, 2.18.10.
- EDITORIAL: The national anthem and Christ’s lordship, Mennonite Weekly Review, 2.3.10.
- OP-ED (web-only): I am making peace with the national anthem, The Mennonite, 2.1.10.
- EDITORIAL: Playing anthem a worthwhile gesture for GC, The Goshen News, 1.27.10.
- National anthem will be heard at some Goshen College events, The Elkhart Truth, 1.23.10.
- GC to play national anthem – sometimes, The Goshen News, 1.22.10.
Goshen College students give free tax preparation and get an education in exchange, The Elkhart Truth, 3.15.10.
Strategies for saving energy shared at Goshen College event, The Elkhart Truth, 3.10.10.
Goshen College garbage goes back to its roots; Student group runs composting program which includes food scraps, The Elkhart Truth, 3.9.10.
Goshen College’s light shines bright during Winter Olympics; Commercials spots air during sporting events, The Goshen News, 3.6.10.
Third tier added to Goshen College emergency system, The Goshen News,3.5.10.
AUDIO SLIDESHOW: Goshen College senior has nurtured a passion for music while working behind the scenes to help needy women in Peru, The Elkhart Truth, 3.2.10.
Sugar bush visit is sweet time, Fort Wayne News-Sentinel, 2.25.10.
Heater’s Amish glow just a frame job: Minus mantel, the faux fireplace is made in China, Philadelphia Inquirer, 2.10.10.
Goshen College students prepare for job interviews, The Elkhart Truth, 2.10.10.
Indoor marathon will aid LaCasa’s Help-A-House program and Haiti relief,The Elkhart Truth, 2.3.10.
Misplaced faith? A local man, advertising big financial returns for investors, is believed to have collected $65 million from Plain communities, here and elsewhere, 1.24.10.
High-flying GC dunk a huge hit on the Internet, The Elkhart Truth, 1.19.10.
Advocates back bill to give immigrant children a route to U.S. citizenship, The Elkhart Truth, 1.19.10.
Goshen-based group seeking histories from World War II veterans, The Elkhart Truth, 1.17.10.
Health Care Mandate Applies to All — Except the Amish, FOX NEWS, 1.16.10.
Haitian students at Goshen College hear family is OK, The Goshen News, 1.14.10.
Former GC instructor concerned about friends in Haiti, The Goshen News, 1.13.10.
Local universities prepare for emergency abroad, FOX28, 1.13.10.