Alumni Oral history Project
Contribute your alumni story to our Alumni Oral History Project, with our storytelling partner Publishing Concepts, Inc. (PCI)
Goshen College is embarking on an exciting new project to create an alumni oral history of Goshen College that will record our shared connections.
We are collaborating with Publishing Concepts, Inc. (PCI) to help us collect your stories. With more than 18,000 alumni, what better way to recognize our impact as a community than to share our personal narratives?
We hope you participate in this opportunity.
Two notes we want you to be aware of when you call:
- You will be talking to someone from PCI, and not a GC employee.
- You will be asked to consider purchasing a book and/or other GC items, but that is entirely optional and not required.
Questions? Review the FAQ below or reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have received a postcard or an email with a telephone number, you may call the number to speak with a dedicated representative for the Oral History Project. The representative will verify the information we have on file for you, make any updates where needed, and then ask you to share your story about your time at Goshen College. Your story will be recorded and the sound clip provided to Goshen College at the conclusion of the project.
- If you have received an email with an embedded link, you may go to the online site to review your information and submit a story.
- If you did not receive a postcard or email, you may call the dedicated Goshen College update line at 1-866-561-7448.
- If you are living internationally or are unable to call the update line, please email email@example.com. PCI will send you a personalized link for you to share your written story and photo.
We have partnered with PCI (also known as Publishing Concepts, Inc.) to produce an Oral History Publication for Goshen College. PCI is a family owned business based in Dallas, Texas, that has published directories for educational institutions, fraternities, sororities, and military organizations across the nation for over 100 years. This project allows us to hear about your personal experiences from your time at Goshen College and how the school helped to shape your life since then. And, while we have you on the phone, we want to make sure your contact information is up to date.
The interview process is very informal. After confirming your current contact information, PCI’s representative will ask you about your favorite story from Goshen. If you don’t have a story prepared, that’s okay! PCI’s representatives are trained to help by asking some standard questions, including favorite professors, activities and clubs you were involved in, and how your Goshen education helped after graduation.
You will also be asked to consider purchasing the Oral History Project publication and Goshen College merchandise. You can purchase all of it, part of it or nothing, but Goshen College does encourage you to purchase at least the book, which is an excellent coffee table style book.
After your interview, you will be asked for consent regarding:
- Your story to be used by Goshen to showcase alumni achievements and legacy
- Your written story to be included in the Oral History Project publication
- Your audio recording to be included in the Oral History Project publication
You may change your consent for any of these options at any time online (you will be sent a link to your online profile shortly after your call). If you decline consent for your written story or audio to be used for the publication, you will not receive your audio or story to review; we recommend confirming consent while on the phone, as you will have the option to change your mind at any time until 4/19/24.
All stories, audio, and photos provided for the Oral History Project will become property of Goshen College at the conclusion of the project.
Yes, in a few different ways:
- Updated Information – allows us to effectively communicate with and engage alumni
- Legacy – sharing and collecting stories preserves the history of our school
- Revenue – no direct revenue, but some alumni choose to make a donation to GC and of course, your stories and updated contact information are institutional gold.
- Pride – wearing apparel shows support and love for our school
Publishing Concepts Inc. (PCI) is committed to protecting your information. The names, addresses and information provided to PCI for the publication of the Oral History Project will be held confidential by PCI, except to the extent that they are utilized in, or in the preparation of, the Oral History Project and except as required by court order or law.
If you would like to participate and are Deaf/Hard of Hearing, there are a couple of options. You can call directly through your video phone system and PCI will process the call. If you’d prefer to share through email, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. PCI will then send you a personalized link for you to share your written story and photo.
The only information that is included in the publication is your name, class year and degree, along with your story and photo. No contact information is printed. When you call to update your contact information, it will only be used to update your alumni record for the school/alumni association. You may revoke consent for your story and/or photo to appear any time before 4/19/24 by contacting PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 / email@example.com.
You can call back at any time before April 19, 2024 to share your story.
You will receive an email with a link to upload one photo (black and white or color) plus a caption.
If you have also purchased a book but do not have an email address on file, you will be sent a photo mailer to send a physical photo in to be printed (note: the photo will be returned if you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope).
The Goshen College Oral History Publication is available for sale only to Goshen College alumni.
The total duration of the Oral History Project is about 12 months. Since we began the project in October 2023, the books will be distributed in October / November 2024.
Contact PCI’s customer service help desk at 1-800-982-1590 and they will take care of this for you.