Do you like learning with efficiency? This page contains conveniently concentrated facts about our campus, community and academics. Explore our site (and our campus in person!) to really get acquainted.
- Founded: 1894
- Type: 4-year liberal arts college with select graduate programs
- Location: Goshen, Indiana (pop. 32,000)
- Campus:135 acres with 19 major buildings, plus a 1,189-acre natural sanctuary 31 miles from campus and a marine biology laboratory in the Florida Keys
- Motto: “Culture for Service”
- Core Values: Christ-centeredness, passionate learning, servant leadership, compassionate peacemaking and global citizenship
- President: Dr. James E. Brenneman
- Religious affiliation: Mennonite Church USA and welcoming individuals of all faiths and backgrounds. Goshen College is also a member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities.
- Undergraduate students: 828
- Graduate students: 60
- States represented: 32
- Countries represented: 36
- Students of color: 28%
- Percentage of undergrads living on campus: 71%
- Religious makeup:
- More than 40 denominations
- 48% Mennonite/Anabaptist
- 23% Other Protestant
- 7% Roman Catholic
- 18% other faith traditions
- 2013-14 first-year class:
- Average ACT: 26
- Average SAT: 1112
- Average GPA: 3.50
- Female: 56%
- Male: 44%
In the classroom
- Student/faculty ratio: 11:1
- Undergrad fields of study: 35 majors, 38 minors
- Adult degree programs: Business Administration, Organizational Leadership, R.N. to B.S.N (Nursing), Social Work
- Graduate degrees: Environmental Education, Intercultural Leadership, Nursing
- Classes with fewer than 25 students: 85%
- Teaching faculty profile: 72 full-time, 22 part-time
- Accreditation: The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association, classified as a Baccalaureate–Arts & Sciences college by the Carnegie Foundation
» See all accreditations
- #1: Ranking of the percentage of graduates who received Ph.D.s in the life sciences out of 118 undergraduate institutions in the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities
- #2: Ranking for Goshen accounting graduates for the CPA exam passing rate in Indiana (just behind Notre Dame), and top 10 nationally for a program of our size
- 100%: Number of Goshen students who applied to medical school in 2012 that were accepted
- 100%: Social work graduates who passed their licensing exam
- 99th Percentile: Rank on the ETS Literature and English Achievement Test for Goshen graduates compared to all universities nationwide
- 90%: Graduate school acceptance rate is for chemistry graduates
- 90%: Social work graduates who have been granted advanced standing in their graduate programs
- 92%: Medical school acceptance rate average for the last 5 years
- 70%: Percentage of Goshen physics majors who enter graduate school
- 70%: 6-year graduation rate (the national average is 55%)
- Named both Television School of the Year and Radio School of the Year in Indiana in 2012 and 2013. The student-run radio station was named the Best College Radio Station in the Nation in 2011 and 2013
- U.S. News & World Report identified Goshen as a “least-debt college,” and named Goshen to its “best national liberal arts colleges” list. (#141)
- The Washington Monthly ranked Goshen College 146th on the list of 254 elite liberal arts colleges.
- Ranked as one of “America’s Top Colleges” by Forbes.com (#476 out of the 650 most elite institutions)
- Goshen is named a “Best Buy” where “the education dollar goes further,” by Barron’s Best Buys in College Education.
- Goshen is named a “College of Distinction” by the Colleges of Distinction guide.
- Study-Service Term: Goshen is home to one of the top-ranked study abroad programs in the country, and one of the few that emphasizes service and complete cultural immersion.
- Current locations include Cambodia, China, Morocco, Nicaragua, Peru, Senegal and Tanzania, as well as a Latino Studies option in Northern Indiana.
- Maple Scholars: Full-time, stipend summer internship exploring research alongside a professor
- Sustainability Semester: A problem-based learning experience where students engage real environmental issues of local concern while living and studying at Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center, a 1,189-acre off-campus environmental education facility.
- The Goshen Core: Sometimes called “General Education” at other schools, the Goshen Core is the set of courses and requirements that applies to all students no matter what major they choose. All full-time first-year students receive an iPad to explore, learn and dream in their classes as part of the Goshen Core.
- Tuition: $28,500 (2013-2014 academic year). Learn more about costs and financial aid at Goshen College.
- Average package of scholarships, grants and loans: $19,470
- Full-time students who receive some form of financial aid: 99%
- Goshen College costs 10 percent less than the national average for private colleges.
- Goshen has been named a “Best Buy” where “the education dollar goes further,” by Barron’s Best Buys in College Education and a “least-debt college” according to U.S. News & World Report.
- Kiplinger’s ranked Goshen 77th for “best value college”among liberal arts colleges, which places it 2nd among Indiana liberal arts colleges.
- Affiliation: National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA)
- Conference: Crossroads League
- Mascot: Maple Leafs
- Colors: Purple, white
- Varsity sports: Baseball, basketball, cross-country, golf, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field, women’s volleyball
- Scholar-Athletes: In 2012-2013, Goshen College produced 51 NAIA scholar-athletes, with a total of 233 NAIA scholar-athletes over the past five years.
- Clubs and organizations: 35+ different ways to connect
- Music: Chamber Choir, Lavender Jazz, Men’s Chorus, Symphony Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, Women’s World Music Choir, Voices-n-Harmony Gospel Choir, Parables worship team
- Theater: Full-length mainstage shows, one-acts, operas, peace plays, senior recitals
- Faith opportunities: Chapel, Campus Worship Night, Catholic Student Association, Taizé prayer service, Voices-n-Harmony and more
- Intramural sports: Basketball, kickball, outdoor/indoor soccer, sand/indoor volleyball, Ultimate Frisbee
- Acceptance rate: 55.1%
- Early application deadline: Dec. 15, 2013
- » Apply online to Goshen College
Updated January 2013