Do you like learning with efficiency? This page contains conveniently concentrated facts about our campus, community and academics. Explore our site (and our campus in person!) to really get acquainted.
- Founded: 1894
- Type: 4-year liberal arts college with select graduate programs
- Location: Goshen, Indiana (pop. 32,000)
- Campus:135 acres with 19 major buildings, plus a 1,189-acre natural sanctuary 31 miles from campus and a marine biology laboratory in the Florida Keys
- Motto: “Culture for Service”
- Core Values: Christ-centeredness, passionate learning, servant leadership, compassionate peacemaking and global citizenship
- President: Dr. James E. Brenneman
- Religious affiliation: Mennonite Church USA and welcoming individuals of all faiths and backgrounds. Goshen College is also a member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities.
- Undergraduate students: 828
- Graduate students: 60
- States represented: 32
- Countries represented: 36
- Students of color: 28%
- Percentage of undergrads living on campus: 71%
- Religious makeup:
- More than 40 denominations
- 48% Mennonite/Anabaptist
- 23% Other Protestant
- 7% Roman Catholic
- 18% other faith traditions
- 2013-14 first-year class:
- Average ACT: 26
- Average SAT: 1112
- Average GPA: 3.62
- Female: 56%
- Male: 44%
In the classroom
- Student/faculty ratio: 10:1
- Undergrad fields of study: 37 majors, 47 minors
- Adult degree programs: Business Administration, Organizational Leadership, R.N. to B.S.N (Nursing), Social Work
- Graduate degrees: Environmental Education, Intercultural Leadership, Nursing, Business Administration
- Classes with fewer than 25 students: 93%
- Teaching faculty profile: 72 full-time, 24 part-time
- Accreditation: The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association, classified as a Baccalaureate–Arts & Sciences college by the Carnegie Foundation
» See all accreditations
- 94%: Percent of job-seeking graduates from the class of 2012 who were employed within one year after graduation.
- 90%: Percent of 2012 graduates who are satisfied or very satisfied with their GC education.
- #2: Ranking in the number of graduates going on to earn doctorates among all Indiana institutions when institutional size is taken into account. Nationally, Goshen College ranks 87th out of 262 Carnegie baccalaureate institutions.
- #1: Ranking in the number of graduates going on to earn doctorates among Mennonite institutions, with double the number of students going on to earn doctorates than any other institution.
- #2: Ranking for Goshen accounting graduates for the CPA exam passing rate in Indiana (just behind Notre Dame), and top 10 nationally for a program of our size
- 100%: Percent of Goshen students who applied to medical school in 2012 who were accepted
- 100%: Social work graduates who passed their licensing exam
- 71%: 6-year graduation rate (the national average is 54%)
- Named both Television School of the Year and Radio School of the Year in Indiana in 2012 and 2013. The student-run radio station was named the Best College Radio Station in the Nation in 2011 and 2013
- U.S. News & World Report identified Goshen as a “least-debt college,” and named Goshen to its “best national liberal arts colleges” list in 2013. (#141)
- The Washington Monthly ranked Goshen College 146th on the list of 254 elite liberal arts colleges.
- Ranked as one of “America’s Top Colleges” by Forbes.com in 2013 (#476 out of the 650 most elite institutions)
- Goshen is named a “Best Buy” where “the education dollar goes further,” by Barron’s Best Buys in College Education.
- Study-Service Term: Goshen is home to one of the top-ranked study abroad programs in the country, and one of the few that emphasizes service and complete cultural immersion.
- Current locations include Cambodia, China, Nicaragua, Peru, Senegal and Tanzania.
- Maple Scholars: Full-time, stipend summer internship exploring research alongside a professor
- Sustainability Semester: A problem-based learning experience where students engage real environmental issues of local concern while living and studying at Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center, a 1,189-acre off-campus environmental education facility.
- The Goshen Core: Sometimes called “General Education” at other schools, the Goshen Core is the set of courses and requirements that applies to all students no matter what major they choose. All full-time first-year students receive an iPad to explore, learn and dream in their classes as part of the Goshen Core.
- Tuition: $28,500 (2013-2014 academic year). Learn more about costs and financial aid at Goshen College.
- Average package of scholarships, grants and loans: $19,470
- Full-time students who receive some form of financial aid: 99%
- Goshen College costs 10 percent less than the national average for private colleges.
- Goshen has been named a “Best Buy” where “the education dollar goes further,” by Barron’s Best Buys in College Education and a “least-debt college” according to U.S. News & World Report.
- Kiplinger’s ranked Goshen 77th for “best value college”among liberal arts colleges, which places it 2nd among Indiana liberal arts colleges.
- Affiliation: National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA)
- Conference: Crossroads League
- Mascot: Maple Leafs
- Colors: Purple, white
- Varsity sports: Baseball, basketball, cross-country, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field, women’s volleyball
- Scholar-Athletes: In 2012-2013, Goshen College produced 51 NAIA scholar-athletes, with a total of 233 NAIA scholar-athletes over the past five years.
- Clubs and organizations: 35+ different ways to connect
- Music: Chamber Choir, Lavender Jazz, Men’s Chorus, Symphony Orchestra, Women’s World Music Choir, All-Campus Band, Voices-n-Harmony Gospel Choir, Parables worship team
- Theater: Full-length mainstage shows, one-acts, operas, peace plays, senior recitals
- Faith opportunities: Chapel, Campus Worship Night, Catholic Student Association, Taizé prayer service, Voices-n-Harmony and more
- Intramural sports: Basketball, kickball, outdoor/indoor soccer, sand/indoor volleyball, Ultimate Frisbee
- Acceptance rate: 55.1%
- Early application deadline: Dec. 15
- » Apply online to Goshen College
Updated March 2014