Interested in auditioning for one of the Goshen College choral or instrumental ensembles? Learn how!
Grammy Award-winning choral ensemble Conspirare will present a Performing Arts Series concert on Sunday, Sept. 21. Tickets are still available. Click to learn more!
The Arts are thriving at GC! Read about recent and upcoming arts events happening on campus, news, and more!
The Music Department will be live-streaming select ensemble concerts in Sauder Concert Hall this spring, beginning with the Concerto-Aria concert on Sat. February 8. Click for the live stream and for more information!
Incoming students can receive merit-based awards of $2000-10,000! Apply today!
The Goshen College Music Department cultivates excellence in music performance, teaching and learning.
Participate in one of our many ensembles, and you’ll be able to perform in GC Music Center’s state-of-the-art Sauder Concert Hall and Rieth Recital Hall.
- Men’s Chorus
- Women’s World Music Choir
- Chamber Choir
- Symphony Orchestra
- Lavender Jazz
- All-Campus Band
Get out of the classroom experience when you audition for the annual Concerto-Aria Competition, participate in an opera, or travel to London for the Arts in London course. Music majors can concentrate in music performance, music education, piano pedagogy, or music in worship.
The Goshen College music department cultivates excellence in musical performance, pedagogy and scholarship. We believe musical expression is a human manifestation of the divine creative impulse and, as such, serves as a window into the individual soul, a bridge between human beings and a means of shared religious experience.
- Major in Music / Minor in Music
- The music department at Goshen College is dedicated to the cultivation of excellence in the areas of musical performance, pedagogy and scholarship. We believe musical expression is a human manifestation of the divine impulse and, as such, serves as a window into the individual soul, as a bridge between human beings and as a means of shared religious experience.
- Music performance or research concentration
- Is performing music your greatest source of joy and satisfaction? Then the music performance emphasis may interest you. Here, you would take private lessons in a specialized area, and play or sing in a faculty-directed ensemble.
- Music Education concentration
- Teaching music at the elementary, junior high or high school level is an exciting and rewarding profession. A music degree with a music education emphasis qualifies graduates to teach grades K-12, instrumental or vocal music.
- Piano Pedagogy concentration
- Most pianists teach the instrument as some part of their career. The courses in the piano pedagogy emphasis develop the skills necessary for you to teach in your own home studio or in a wide variety of educational institutions. The course work focuses on ways in which children learn, developing a course of study for students at all ages and advancement levels and selecting the best available teaching materials. In this emphasis, you learn through practical experience by teaching young children in the Piano Pedagogy Lab Program and Community School of the Arts, under faculty supervision.
- Music in Worship concentration
- An interdisciplinary effort, requiring courses from Bible, religion and other departments. Students will be able to shape the concentration to fit their future goals, and the internship will be an important way to gain significant field experience. As a music department within a church-related college, we greatly value the role music plays in worship settings and hope to train our students to be well-prepared and thoughtful leaders in a variety of church music settings.
- Music Business & Technology concentration
- There are increasing opportunities in the recording and production aspects of the music business. Preparation for a career in music business or music recording or production requires music sensibilities and musical training as well as familiarity with business practices and the technological aspects and trends of the industry. This concentration utilizes the resources of the communication and business departments.
- Minor in Piano Pedagogy
- The ability to shape a diversified career within music or beyond one discipline is increasingly important in today’s job environment. Piano pedagogy minors take a rich mix of classes to enable the teaching of music in an independent studio or in a wide variety of educational institutions. It can be an excellent addition to a general music degree or another major such as Business or Bible/Religion. Practical experience is gained by supervised teaching of children through the Piano Pedagogy Lab Program and Community School of the Arts.
- Minor in Music in Worship
- If you anticipate being heavily involved with music in your future congregation or pursuing part-time employment as a church musician, this opportunity to study music as a worship art can be a dynamic part of your college experience. Practical skills such as song leading, improvement on your primary instrument, and thoughtful study of church music traditions are hallmarks of this minor.