Wednesday, August 17, 2016
Retirees may RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 535-7707.
Core Value Focus for 2016-2017: Passionate Learning
We learn as a matter of course. We often learn simply in order to operate in the world. To survive, we have to solve problems and we encounter situations almost daily that require us to learn something just a little bit new. Passionate learning goes well beyond mere survival or necessity. While one can learn by many means — by observation, by reading books, by interacting with others, and countless other ways — to learn deeply and passionately means learning in community with others. Abiding passions are never kindled in isolation. Since we often know our own limits and strengths better as we bump up against one another, we need others to help us identify our gifts, to provide support to struggle through difficult challenges, and to call us to go beyond our own expectations. We need a driving motivation to be passionate about learning and while that often means we need solitude to focus our attention, it never means activities that are disconnected from the learning and work of others. Passionate learning is done in community.
As we open this year of Passionate Learning, let us come together in community to build strong connections and endeavor to make a place where we can engage one another’s passions and learn about ourselves, about each other, and about God’s creation. Join us at Merry Lea on Wednesday, August 17, for a time of reflection, renewal, connection and motivation.
We are inviting retired employees and their spouses to join us in the afternoon for the final session and dinner.
A format change has been made to the schedule this year due to the new Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) regulations. More information regarding the new FLSA regulations will come out at a later date. Also, this year overnight stays are not being formally offered.
Schedule: Goshen College All-Employee Retreat
Wednesday, August 17, 2016
- 9:00 a.m. Gather at Physical Plant for those traveling via the GC minibuses
- 9:15 a.m. Depart from GC for Merry Lea
- 9:55 a.m. Arrive at Merry Lea — check-in
- 10:00 a.m. Welcome *
- 10:40 a.m. Group activities
- 11:40 a.m. Reconvene as a whole group
- 12:00 p.m. Lunch provided by AVI (including vegetarian option) and free time
- 1:30 p.m. Groups present to whole group
- 2:45 p.m. Departments/areas meet to discuss ideas/suggestions
- 3:45 p.m. Address by President Brenneman (retirees and spouses are invited to join the group at this time)
- 4:15 p.m. Worship
- 4:45 p.m. Dinner provided by AVI (including vegetarian option)
- 5:45 p.m. Depart from Merry Lea
*-Please note that a continental breakfast will not be provided this year due to later start time.
Additional Fall Dates to Put on Your Calendar:
Tuesday, August 16, 2016 — Teaching Faculty Retreat
Thursday, August 18, 2016 — Department Chairs/Program Directors Meeting
Monday, August 22, 2016 — New Employee Orientation
Tuesday, August 30, 2016 – Fall Semester Classes Begin