By Jodi Beyeler, vice president for communications and people strategy
This week’s theme: Show Us, God, your power over death itself
This week’s Scriptures: Ezekiel 37:1-14 | Psalm 130 | Romans 8:6-11 | John 11:1-45
Maybe I should stop reading news articles about the mortality rate of COVID-19, or how people are dying alone in Italy. The power of death in the face of our current global pandemic has never seemed closer and more real.
As I seek to see and understand God’s power over death during this season of Lent, I’m pushing myself to ask:
- How do I let go of my fear and anxiety around death?
- How can I remember that death always brings new life?
- And, how do I want to live now?
So, in response to my questions, I offer this short list of what I’m going to seek to do each day (as I also wash my hands over and over, and practice social distancing!):
- Feel my heart beat. Take a deep, deep breath.
- Light a candle.
- Go on a walk.
- Give thanks to God for a new day.
- Connect (safely) to my neighbors and the ones I love.