On-campus & Work-Study Jobs

On-campus jobs can be a convenient way to earn money while attending school. As an enrolled student, you are eligible to apply for jobs and arrange interviews with on-campus employers.

The Career Services office is available to assist you in finding on-campus employment, but we do not directly place students. Each student is responsible for securing his or her own job, including students awarded Work-Study federal funds. Securing an on-campus job will require you to take initiative, just like finding a job off-campus.

Here are some suggestions to help you find an on-campus job:

  • Review the 2014-15 Student Employment Directory, which is updated every year in August. It lists the on-campus departments that usually hire student employees. Follow the instructions on the directory to determine whether or not a department has available positions. If necessary, be politely persistent.
  • Review postings on the online GC job & internship bank (www.goshen.edu/jobs). Most openings will be posted mid- to late-August.
  • Attend the annual Part-time Job and Service Fair, held at the beginning of each school year. On- and off-campus employers and volunteer organizations talk with students about their openings. Check the Calendar of Events 2014-15 for details (coming soon!)
  • Review the Student Employee Guide for additional resources on the student employment process at Goshen College.

Please note:

Most departments give preference to hiring 1) students who received federal Work-Study eligibility awards as part of their financial aid package, or 2) international students who are required to only work on campus. To confirm your Work-Study eligibility, check your Financial Aid award letter or contact the Financial Aid office.

If you are not eligible for Work-Study funds, it’s possible you will not find an on-campus job. You may want to pursue off-campus or entrepreneurial positions.

Frequently asked questions: student employment & Work-Study

What is Work-Study?

Work-Study (WS) is a federally subsidized program that helps students earn money to pay for college. To be considered for WS funds, a student must:

  • Attend school full time
  • Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
  • File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form by the priority deadline
  • Demonstrate financial eligibility according to federal and college policies

Eligible students are notified that they have been offered WS funds on their Financial Aid award letter. To access these funds, each student is responsible to secure employment in a Work-Study position in order to earn the funds at an hourly rate. Goshen College gives preference to Work-Study students when hiring for on-campus jobs.

When should I start looking for a job for fall semester?

Most GC departments hire at the beginning of the school year, and the majority of jobs are filled by the end of September. First-year and transfer students are encouraged to begin looking for positions in August and contacting departmental employers a week or two before classes begin. Continuing students can begin talking with potential employers during spring semester for the following year’s employment.

Most departments give preference to domestic students with federal Work-Study awards and international students. If neither applies to you, it’s possible you will not find an on-campus job. You are strongly encouraged to also pursue off-campus job opportunities.

How will I be paid?

All student employees are paid via check on the last Wednesday of each month. The money is not directly applied to your student account.

What will my work schedule be like?

During the school year most students do not work on-campus more than ten hours per week. According to federal law, international students may not work more than 20 hours per week.

Student work schedules will be based upon the departmental employer’s needs and the student’s academic and co-curricular schedule. Most departments can be quite flexible while others cannot due to their job requirements. Some positions offer evening and weekend hours, but most office-related positions require students to schedule work during regular office hours.

What do I need to bring to campus if I plan to work?

All student employees must comply with federal employment laws and regulations, which require completing the following forms, available in the Accounting office: Form I-9, Form W-4, and State Tax Withholding Form.

Filling out the Form I-9 requires supporting documentation, such as driver’s license, Social Security card, birth certificate, or valid passport. Be prepared to present original, signed document(s) to fulfill this requirement as federal law forbids the acceptance of facsimiles or photocopies of these documents.

What jobs qualify for Work-Study?

Nearly every on-campus job can qualify as a Work-Study job. For details, review the on-campus jobs directory, which specifies whether or not a department offers positions to Work-Study eligible students.

What happens if I do not earn my entire Work-Study award?

Nothing; you are not required to earn your entire award.

What happens if I earn my entire Work-Study award before the end of the school year?

In most cases, once your earnings reach your maximum Work-Study award amount, you can continue working in the same position as a regular student employee. Check with your supervisor to confirm.