Professor J. Wentzel van Huyssteen was the first James I. McCord Professor of Theology and Science at Princeton Theological Seminary. Ordained in the Dutch Reformed Church of South Africa and a native of that country, he holds an M.A. in philosophy from the University of Stellenbosch in South Africa, and a Ph.D. in philosophical theology from the Free University of Amsterdam.
His areas of academic interest include theology and science, and religion and scientific epistemology. Van Huyssteen has taught courses on the role of worldviews in theological reflection; theology and the problem of rationality; theology and cosmology; and theology and evolution. He serves on the editorial boards of the American Journal of Theology and Philosophy, the Nederduits Gereformeerde Teologiese Tydskrif, and the Journal of Theology and Science, and is coeditor of the Science and Religion Series (Ashgate Press). He delivered the Gifford Lectures in 2004, titled “Alone in the World? Science and Theology on Human Uniqueness.”
Van Huyssteen’s publications include:
- Ashgate Science and Religion Series: Anna Case-Winters, Reconstructing a Christian Theology of Nature: Down to Earth, coedited with Roger Trigg. Series Editors. (Adlershot: Ashgate Press, 2007)
- Alone in the World? Human Uniqueness in Science and Theology (Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 2006)
- The Encyclopedia of Science and Religion (Two volumes). Editor-in-chief. (Macmillan Publishers, 2003)
- The Shaping of Rationality: Toward Interdisciplinarity in Theology and Science (Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1999)
- Duet or Duel? Theology and Science in a Postmodern World (SCM/Trinity Press, 1998)