The Rosas of Lima

Abby shares a journal entry:

Abby with her host mother.
Abby with her host mother, Rosa.

I felt like there was something symbolic and in some ways very sacred about arriving in Peru and being with our host families for the celebration of Saint Rosa of Lima.

I was struck by the story of St. Rosa at the Cathedral of Lima. She was the first saint for Lima. She was a poor, ethnically diverse female, and yet she became the first saint for Lima. The guide at the cathedral talked about how she was chosen as a saint as a way of reminding people of the divinity that exists in all humanity.

This saint also gives me hope and faith as I go into my SST experience knowing that I will be living with host family members who face extreme discrimination.

When my host mom was trying to get a taxi to take me home on the first night, taxi after taxi would drive away after they realized that she was Deaf. It was heartbreaking and I felt absolutely powerless.

Of course, we did finally get a taxi. My mom can always get a taxi. My mom can do anything that everyone else can do. My presence in her life will not make her daily life easier. I’m not here to be an interpreter, but a friend.

A street artist offers a chalk rendering of St. Rosa.

My mama, Rosa, is in many ways like the St. Rosa of Peru.

She may be looked down on by some people in society, but she will not be brought down by them. She may not be understood by everyone, but that does not mean that she doesn’t have something to say. Even if society does not want to give her much, she will give everything for the people she loves.

Celebrating a saint who has suffered and persevered seems fitting.

It is a reminder to celebrate our accomplishments, and to celebrate my families. It is a reminder that I am here not only to serve, but also to be served. It is a reminder that  I am here not only to love, but also to be loved.