Preliminary Application: Step One
Before submitting your initial application materials, please ensure that you meet the following criteria:
- To demonstrate basic skills, candidates must provide evidence of ONE of the following prior to admission:
- A passing score on the CASA test
- An SAT combined math and verbal score of 1100 or higher
- An ACT composite score of 24 or higher
- To demonstrate content knowledge, candidates must provide evidence of ONE of the following, prior to admission:
- An undergraduate degree in the subject she/he plans to teach with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. (Elementary applicants must demonstrate an undergraduate program that includes coursework in the variety of subjects that she/he will teach.)
- An undergraduate degree in the subject she/he plans to teach with a GPA of 2.5-2.99 and at least five years of experience working in a school setting.
- An undergraduate degree in any field with passing scores on the Indiana CORE exam(s) for educator licensure in the subject that she/he plans to teach.
- Note that all candidates must attempt the CORE exam prior to admission, but only those seeking admittance by option three (above) must pass it prior to admission.
- Send a resume that highlights any education work you have performed.
- Reference forms – Request that three supervisors and/or professors complete a reference form. (Do not use relatives as references.) If possible, include at least one reference who can attest to your ability to work with children or youth. Request that your referees return the forms directly to: Graduate & Continuing Studies, Goshen College, 1700 S. Main St. Goshen, IN 46526.
- Request official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Submit a one-page typed statement of purpose. In this statement, articulate what draws you to the teaching profession and describe how you hope to grow through this program. Also include your beliefs about the most important elements of effective teaching and learning.
- Complete the health clearance form and submit it to your doctor for a signature. Ask that your doctor submit the completed form directly to: Graduate & Continuing Studies, Goshen College, 1700 S. Main St., Goshen IN 46526.
Preliminary Application: Step Two
- Complete a Certified Background Check . Local schools require that all teacher education candidates who do field placements in their corporation submit a certified background check, and field placements are a significant part of the Transition to Teaching program. To complete this requirement, create an account with CastleBranch by following instructions at this web site: portal.castlebranch.com/GO47. If you work for a school and have an extended background check already on file, you may be able to use that document. Contact the Education Department administrative assistant at (574) 535-7440 or by email at email@example.com for more information.
- Complete Appropriate Skills Tests
- All candidates must pass the Pearson Core Academic Skills Assessment (CASA) or provide evidence of a composite SAT score of 1100 or above or ACT composite score of 24 or above. Minimum CASA scores required by Goshen College and the Indiana Department of Education are: Reading – 220; Writing – 220; Mathematics – 220. Test registration information can be found at: www.in.nesinc.com.
- All candidates must take the appropriate Pearson content area assessment prior to admission to the program. The minimum passing score of 220 is set by the Indiana Department of Education. Test registration information can be found at: www.in.nesinc.com. For more information click here.
- In June, the Teacher Education Department will arrange a 30-minute interview with you, education faculty, and area school partners. After the interview, you will have 15 to 30 minutes to respond in writing to a prompt on a topic related to education, assigned at that time.
In certain circumstances, there may be alternate ways to earn credit toward program completion and licensure. Credits from other institutions may transfer if taken at an accredited institution of higher education for a grade of C or better. Credit by exam, such as College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and credit for prior learning (using the Council for Adult and Experiential Learning’s assessment system) may be possible as well. Decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis; please contact the Education Department for additional information.
The Teacher Education Department will notify you of the admission decision within two weeks after your interview. Accepted candidates may begin appropriate coursework in the fall semester. You will be considered fully admitted upon successful completion of fall coursework and field work.
To be accepted into the Fall 2018 Transition to Teaching program, all materials must be submitted by June 1, 2018.
Please address all inquiries and admission materials to:
Graduate & Continuing Studies
1700 S Main St
Goshen, IN 45626
Fax: (574) 535-7245