A major and minor in sport management are available. See also the majors and minors in physical education, exercise science and the minors in health and recreation and sport.
Major in sport management
57 credit hours
- Kin 250, Introduction to Kinesiology3
- Kin 251, Officiating1
- Kin 310, Introduction to Sport Management3
- Kin 345, Theory and Techniques of Coaching3
- Kin 350, Sport Culture and Psychology3
- Kin 354, Facility Management Practicum1
- Kin 405, Sport Event and Facility Management3
- Kin 409, Internship in Sport Management3
- Kin 410, Senior Seminar3
- Acc 200, Principles of Accounting3
- Econ 200, Principles of Economics3
- Bus 244, Consumer Behavior & the Customer Journey3
- Bus 254, Principles of Marketing3
- Bus 307, Career Planning1
- Bus 310, Business Law3
- Bus 315, Human Capital Management3
- One Ethics in Human Behavior course3
- Phil 203, Living Ethically
- Phil 230, Ethics and Morality
- Comm 270, Media Law and Ethics
- or other approved ethics course
- Sport management electives (choose 9 credits from list below)9
- Bus 220, Spreadsheet Skills (3)
- Comm 202, Oral Communication (3)
- Comm 240, Communication Research (3)
- Comm 250, Writing for Media (3)
- Comm 255, Photo Communication (3)
- Comm 322, Organizational Communication (3)
- Comm 360, Broadcasting for the Public Good (3)
- Comm 383, Communication and Society (3)
Student learning outcomes
Graduates in sport management will:
- Describe historical, philosophical, psychological, and sociological principles and theories in kinesiology.
- Apply basic concepts of business management, principles of finance, budgeting and accounting to sport and the sport industry.
- Relate principles of mass communication to sport and the sport industry (marketing, public relations, products, and sales).
- Explain sport laws, legal aspects and risk management in sport.
- Demonstrate professional leadership behavior and management skills in sport management contexts, including facility management and officiating.
- Employ critical thinking strategies, creativity, and reflection when solving a problem or defending a position.
- Develop ethical reasoning and empowering skills.
- Demonstrate readiness for an entry level sport, exercise, health related profession or graduate school.
Planning and advising notes
This is an interdisciplinary major for students particularly interested in obtaining a leadership role in athletics or athletic organizations, sport-related businesses, sport communication or sport events and facilities. It is also relevant to those students pursuing careers in coaching, recruiting, scouting or officiating.
Sport Management major four year plan
|First and Second year||Wellness for Life
Introduction to Kinesiology
*Introduction to Sport Management
*Communication Research or *Writing for the Media
Principles of Accounting
Principles of Economics
|Third year||Theory and Techniques of Coaching
Sport Culture and Psychology
Facility Management Practicum
Sport Event and Facility Management
Human Capital Management
Principles of Marketing
Kinesiology Senior Seminar
*Consumer Behavior & the Customer Journey
Balance of Goshen Core
*Alternate year classes
Minor in sport management
22 credit hours
- Acc 200, Principles of Accounting 3
- Bus 254, Principles of Marketing 3
- Bus 315, Human Capital Management 3
- Kin 250, Introduction to Kinesiology 3
- Kin 310, Introduction to Sport Management 3
- Kin 354, Facility Management Practicum 1
- Kin 405, Sport Event & Facility Management3
- Sports skills classes 3
Planning and advising notes
The sport management minor is available to students in any major. Courses required for the minor may duplicate courses required in the student’s major only with permission from the major advisor.
This minor may be expanded into a major via the interdisciplinary studies program.