First Down and Pizza. Second and Popcorn.

Courtney with her host mother, Stally, and sister, Sofia.

Though most of the time she is on the receiving end of cultural learning in Peru, Courtney wrote a journal entry about the time she called a reverse play.

New England Patriots (12-4) vs. Seattle Seahawks (12-4) in Super Bowl XLIX

My host family had never seen the Super Bowl, and I was really excited to introduce them to the experience. Maria and Jo came over to watch the game with us.

I bought Pizza Hut pizza for everyone: one with ham, my host mother’s favorite, and one with pepperoni. I told my mom that it was a staple food for all Super Bowl games, and she was very intrigued. I told her how the Super Bowl in the United States is a time to hang out with friends and eat snack food the whole time. She smiled and was excited to watch the game. That night she made us popcorn because I had mentioned that snack food is a must.

First quarter: New England 0, Seattle 0

Sofia, my host sister, who is 2 years and 8 months old, was my favorite. During the game she would cheer whenever we cheered, and she kept trading her popcorn for some of the chips we had bought. I think she just enjoyed seeing Jo and Maria in the house. My host mom really only watched the game when the pizza arrived. She told us to watch in the living room so that she could watch part of the game with us.

Courtney persuades Sofia to pause for a photo during the farewell fiesta in Lima.

Halftime: New England 14, Seattle 14

It was during a moment when Sofia was yelling “Si!” at the TV that I really saw the beauty in mixing cultures. Not only the beauty, but also the way I can feel another culture forming in me. I’ve started saying grace before every meal even when my family is not around. My sense of time has turned more Peruvian because I used to be almost OCD about time — if I’m not early, then I’m late — but not so much now.

Third quarter: New England 14, Seattle 24

[By this time in the game, Courtney, Maria, Jo and Sofia had turned off the TV and were caught up in conversation. They missed the 10-play, 64-yard drive that ended with a Brady touchdown pass to Julian Edelman with 2:02 left in the game. But no matter.]

Fourth quarter: New England 28, Seattle 24

In that night I just realized how much more open to new cultures I am now. I’m not completely sure why, but this night with the Super Bowl made me appreciate the Peruvian culture in a new way, and the beauty of sharing.