Classrooms, comfort zones, card games, and kindnesses

Today’s post is written Camila Perez-Diener.  She is serving in the Satya Wacana Laboratory Elementary School in Salatiga, Central Java.

I entered my service term expecting to assist the English teachers with their classes and maybe work in the library if I had time. I have learned to hold my expectations lightly and go with the flow, but when I heard that I would have my own class focused on speaking English, the two previous teaching experiences that I had did not feel like nearly enough experience for the task ahead of me. I would have 12 short 35 minute classes ranging from grades 1 through 6, two classes for each grade. But I am alive and well to tell you how I managed through all of this. Many people around me have shown me endless support, especially the teachers. They also did not know what to expect from this mystery student from the United States coming to “assist teaching.” And although they set this task before me, they made it even clearer that they were ready to support me at any moment. If I had any questions or needed something printed or needed an idea they were there to help me. They also included me in the endless jokes and laughing in the office. They ask me how I am doing and never fail to put a smile back on my face.

My supervisor, Miss Deti, immediately said I could observe for the first week and if I had any questions I could come to her. Relieved, I spent the first week taking notes on the students’ behaviors, their level of English, and what they were learning. The students always greeted me with shining smiles, waving their arms and screaming “Miss Camila!” They sneaked me a little gift every so often too which always made my day. My notebook is now decorated with many stickers from them.

The second week came around and they allowed me to do a mix of observing and assisting in the English classes.

During one of the breaks between classes, I stayed with the children in the classroom who had immediately sat on the ground and pulled out small character cards. I watched them as they pounded their hands into the ground trying to flip the cards without touching them. I started to try it myself and they gave me some cards so I could try it. Then a boy taps me on the shoulder and hands me a few cards, “for you” and then a girl from the other direction hands me a few more cards, “for you.” Their generosity never fails to impress me. Because of them, I could now participate in their game. After practicing a little, one boy said he wanted to play with me. So we each put 5 cards in the center and played rock paper scissors to see who went first. I won, so I prepped my hands. The kids huddled around us. BAM!! I flipped 3 cards and they went wild! I laughed and celebrated with them as I collected the 3 cards. Then the boy prepped his hands and BAM!! He flipped the whole stack and the kids laughed and patted him on the back. I laughed and then pretended to cry as he took all the cards. I still had some practicing to do!

It was moments like those that got me through that week and then the next week after that. From encouraging meetings with my supervisor, joking with the rest of the teachers in the office, to playing games with the students I have made my way through these daunting weeks. Preparing for classes has definitely been the most challenging part as I teach these weeks, but Miss Deti has never left me in the dust. She has kindly worked with me to think of activities to get the students learning and speaking English.

Through my time in service, I have been repeatedly met with kindness and support from the people around me, including my host family who get to hear my stories as we eat dinner. Although I have learned that teaching elementary school is not for me, I am ever so grateful for this experience that thrusted me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to grow as a person, learn more about Indonesia, and build meaningful relationships.