Professor of Bible, Religion & Philosophy, Honors Director
- BA, University of Alberta, 1980
- MA, Mcmaster University, 1986
- PHD, Mcmaster University, 1992
- Blog contributor – Savoring the Scene – to Goshen Commons: A City of Goshen Community Website.
- Faith and Life Press Adult Bible Study Series Winter 2014 on Scripture and Worship.
- A chapter on ” La Vie du Notre Seigneur Jésus-Christ” (1914, dir. Maurice André Maître) for a volume on Jesus Christ in Silent Films, Routledge.
- A entry on “Drama” in The Dictionary of the Bible in Ancient Media, T&T Clark.
- Turning the Introduction to the Bible Course (Engaging the Bible) into a flipped course with high quality multi-media content resources for the students to access in preparation for learning activities in class.
Dialogue and Drama: Elements of Greek Tragedy in the Fourth Gospel. Peabody MA: Hendrickson, 2004.
Ancient Fiction: The Matrix of Early Christian and Jewish Narrative. Editor with Charles W. Hedrick and Chris Shea. SBL Symposium Series; Atlanta: Scholars Press, 2005.
John: New Testament Paideia Commentary Series. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic Press, 2011.
Canadian Society of Biblical Studies
Society of Biblical Literature
Program Chair SBL Johannine Literature Section
Editorial Board, Journal of Biblical Literature 2011 – present
Consulting Editor, The Conrad Grebel Review 2010 – present
Mennonite Church USA Representative, Editorial Board, Believers Church Commentary Series 2013 – present
Jo-Ann Brant teaches a wide variety of courses in the Bible Religion and Philosophy Dept. at Goshen College including “Jesus and the Gospels,” “Asian Thought,” “Biblical Themes of Peace” and “Speaking About Death.” Her graduate work was in Christianity and Judaism in the Greco-Roman Era with a focus upon Second Temple law with a minor in Asian Religious Traditions. Her current research has focused upon the Gospel of John in its literary setting in the Greco-Roman world with a particular emphasis upon drama and rhetoric. In the last few years, she has taken her passion for film from a hobby to an area of specialization and offers a course entitled “Jesus at the Movies.” She is an active member of the Society of Biblical Studies, serving as a program chair to the Johannine Literature Section and on the editorial board of the Journal of Biblical Literature.