Faculty Profile Page Basics
To access your faculty profile page, you can:
1. Search for your own name in the people search bar (sometimes referred to as stalkernet) either on MyGC or on the bottom navigation bar (choosing “people” from the drop down menu instead of “website” for the search). In the search result for you, you can either click on your linked name or the “View faculty profile” link. OR
2. Type your username after the Goshen URL (e.g. http://www.goshen.edu/joycebh). OR
3. On your academic department page, click on your name on the faculty page.
To get started editing your profile’s content, click “Dashboard” in the gray bar at the top of the page once you are logged in. The two sections you need to think about are “Sections” and “Links,” which can be found in the left column of the dashboard.
“Sections” refers to the various categories represented on your profile; for those familiar with managing a department page, sections can be managed like a page or a post. Each profile comes with a default list of sections that you can choose from, depending on what information you want to display on your profile. All sections that remain in draft form (designated “Draft” in the Sections menu) will not show up on the page. To add a section to your page, simply click “Publish” once the content is complete.
When adding content to a section, try to emulate the format suggested by the content of the default sections. Unfortunately, there is sometimes a disconnect between the visual editor (i.e. what you see when you edit content) and the HTML code of that content. What looks like a logical change to layout can result in unexplained layout issues. If this occurs and you cannot figure out the problem, please contact the Communications & Marketing web editor. And if you are wanting to copy content from Word, use the “Paste from Word” button, which will produce better formatting.
As you are adding your content, we would encourage you to include links to external sites (professional organizations you are part of, other pages on the GC website, other companies/organizations/colleges you have worked for, articles you have had published, a photo album, etc.). You can do this by highlighting the copy that should link and then clicking on the chain link button. You will paste the full address, including “http://” in the box that pops up.
If you would like to add information that does not fit in any of the default sections (international service, for example), you can create your own the same way that you create a new Page or Post. Depending on the information on your profile, you may also want to adjust the order in which the sections appear.
- Under Sections on the Dashboard page, go to the Quick Edit tab that appears beneath each Page title.
- In the Order menu, you can then assign a different number to the section; they will then show up on your profile in numerical order.
- Click Update to save changes.
It is also helpful to include a link to your course syllabus after the course description in the “Courses” section. You can upload and link the document or link somewhere else by following the instructions on the “Upload and Link a File” page. The linked text should follow the course description.
“Links” allows you to add links on your page to outside locations (such as your department’s homepage or your personal web page). These are limited to two locations: below the menu listing on in the left-hand column and below your image in the box on the right.
- Add new link from the dashboard menu.
- Name the link as you want it to appear on your page.
- Add the URL that you want to link to in the “Web Address” section.
- In the “Categories” section, check “Departmental” to add the link below the menu or “Personal” to add it below your image.
- Click “Update Link” to update/save the information.