Would you like to study at our marine biology station in the Florida Keys?
A $5000 matching contribution was generously donated to fund student research in the Biology Department. With your matching contribution we can provide up to $10.000 toward undergraduate research.
Are you a GC Biology alumni? Register today for the 4th Annual Biological Sciences Homecoming Luncheon on Saturday Oct. 5, 2013.
Biology faculty and students spend a busy summer in research - probing the genes of honeybees and C. elegans, testing algae growth as a biofuel, and quantifying elephant foraging of acacia trees. Check out their results.
Congratulations to all our students who presented their research at regional conferences during the spring of 2013!
As a biology major at Goshen, you’ll explore the natural world down to the cellular level. Research in the lab and in the field. And prepare yourself for health- and biology-related careers. No matter which program you choose, you’ll build a strong foundation of knowledge and field experience. Goshen College biology majors have impressive track records:
- 92% of students who applied to medical school in the past 5 years have been accepted.
- The percentage of our graduates earning doctorate degrees in life sciences ranks GC in the top 5% of undergraduate institutions in a recent study by Franklin & Marshall College.
- Goshen ranks #1 for graduates receiving doctorate degrees in life sciences among the 70 institutions in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities.
- Major in Biology
- Areas of interest for which majors may prepare by careful selection of courses include: agriculture, allied health (medical technology, pharmacy), biotechnology, botany, cellular biology, ecology, environmental biology, field biology, genetics, human biology, marine biology, microbiology, molecular biology, pre-professional (dentistry, medicine, veterinary medicine, physical therapy), teaching biology, tropical agriculture, wildlife biology or zoology.
- Major in Molecular Biology/Biochemistry
- Major/Minor in Environmental Science
- We believe that the environmental needs in our world require education that links people with scientific information; nurtures relationships between people, locally and globally; and connects our communities with the land on which we are dependent as part of God’s creation.
- If you are interested in medicine, Goshen College can provide a strong background for entry into medical school and related professions. Goshen College offers many unique opportunities for medical experience prior to entering medical school. Goshen College students find many opportunities for academic studies and research; pre-medical students can also gain experience in programs linking GC with local health-care providers.
- To be accepted into one of the 54 dental programs in the United States, you will need a strong background in science. Goshen College can provide you with this academic foundation, as well as opportunities in a wide variety of other disciplines, as part of the liberal arts education at GC.
- Veterinary schools are very selective. To gain entrance into such a school, you will need a strong background in the sciences. Goshen College can give you the academic foundation to begin your veterinary studies. There are also many convenient opportunities to gain experience with animals, required by most veterinary programsweek period of service volunteering on a farm or other location where they will gain unique experience with animals.
- Goshen College can give you the academic foundation to prepare you for pharmacy school. Goshen College students find many opportunities for academic studies and research; pre-pharmacy students can also conveniently gain experience with local health-care providers.
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Goshen College can give you the academic foundation needed to enter the field of physical therapy. Goshen College students find many opportunities for academic studies and research; pre-physical therapy students can also gain experience in programs linking GC with local health-care providers.
Associate Professor of Biology, Lindsay Field Researcher
Associate Professor of Agroecology and Ecological Field Station Director
Assistant Professor of Environmental Science, Director of Land Management--Merry Lea
Associate Professor of Biology
Assistant Professor of Biology
Associate Professor of Biological & Environmental Science, ES Program Director