Field Trips galore

Posted by: Kathryn Schmidt; photos by Kristopher Schmidt and David Leaman Miller

Field trips are definitely a chance to see the rich history of Peru, but they are also a time for some serious bonding.  The bus rides, the walking around and of course the general fatigue is all fodder for many private jokes.

The latest field trips have been to: the San Fransisco Monastery with its gloomy catacombs, the Afro-Peruana museum, Lima’s own Chinatown and an overnight trip to Caral.  Caral is located about 4 hours from Lima, where the students had a chance to see a wide range of topography including: grassy agricultural land, a watery lagoon full of birds, and dry desert hills.  There were picnics, bird-watching, time at the beach and of course a tour of one of the oldest civilizations of the Americas.

Side note: Our very own Jonah turned 6 there and was very excited to be a part of the action.  He was hoping to find a skeleton while there, so when he returned with bones to show me I was very nervous.  Thankfully, he reassured me that they were animal bones from the beach.  Phew!

Another hightlight this week was an Ecumenical service at Buen Pastor, the church we rent most weekdays.  We joined Anglicans, Evangelicals, and Russian Orthodox congregations in a beautiful service that included readings, music and a sermon, mostly in spanish.  Our group provided music for “My Heart Cries Out” and “Be Thou My Vision” with our very own musicians on guitar, recorder, violin and cajon.  Apparently, the same version of “Be Thou My Vision”  (with several Spanish verses) was also sung this week in GC Chapel by the past Peru units (2014-15) led by Karen and Duane Stoltzfus.  It warmed all of our hearts to think that we were singing the same hymn, in 2 different corners of the world.

Hasta pronto!