About our Programs
Goshen College will give you the academic foundation to enter biology-related careers, or to further your education in post-graduate studies. Goshen College students find many opportunities for academic studies and research; biology majors interested in a health occupation can also gain experience in programs linking Goshen College with local health-care providers.
What are GC Biology distinctives?
We emphasize 3 threads that will connect your learning from your first year through graduation….
Collaborative skills are essential in any biological career
By joining our department you will learn from other students and professors alike. And they will learn from you. New in the fall of 2012, the department is organizing the Biology Coffee Hour and a special Science Speaker Lecture Mini-Series to kick off our Departmental Research Project. Through Biology Picnics and Internship Presentation events you will not only connect to a community of scholars, you will have fun doing it!
Research helps students understand the process of science
Through weekly 3-hour labs in each of your courses you will gain the skills of a biologist. As a junior you will collaborate with a team of colleagues to design, implement, and analyze an independently designed research project – which will serve as your senior thesis project. We are developing a Biological Sciences Department Manual that will help guide students through the research process.
Interdisciplinary approaches are required to solve complex problems
Our students benefit from the expertise of faculty in chemistry, physics and other departments across campus. Faculty collaborate in research (e.g. pigeon genetics, soil diversity in prairies, and the photobioreactor project), in addition to engaging in dialogue about bioethics and science and religion during Interdisciplinary Forum events and the annual Science & Religion Conference.
Goshen College has an excellent record in preparing students to succeed in the sciences.
- In 2011-12, of the 26 graduates in the department, 100 percent of the 10 students who applied to graduate/professional schools were accepted. Four are heading to graduate school, 3 are going to to medical school, 2 are going to to physical therapy PhD programs and 1 is going to dental school.
- In the past 5 years, about 92 percent of GC students who have applied to medical school have been accepted.
- In a recent study by Franklin and Marshall College of over 500 undergraduate institutions, Goshen College ranked in the top 5 percent for its percentage of graduates who earned Ph.D.’s in life sciences.
- In a comparison of 70 undergraduate institutions in the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities, Goshen was #1 in the percentage of graduates who received Ph.D.’s in the life sciences.
Three majors to meet diverse interests…
The department offers three different biology majors to prepare students for graduate school and careers in the biological sciences :
- Molecular Biology/Biochemistry – For those interested in pre-health or medical school.
- Biology – For students with general interests in biology.
- Environmental Science - For students interested in one of our ES Tracks: Ecology, Sustainability, or Agroecology.
Opportunities to work closely with faculty
Students can interact personally with the science faculty in classes, labs and research activities.