Faculty advisors play an important role in nurturing students’ intercultural competence and interest in the wider world. This page provides current information on advising your students.
First of all, here are two resources that may help you make the case for SST to your students:
Tell students to go to myGC and look for the SST form in the lower right corner. Can’t see it? That’s because you’re faculty. It’s part of the student portal.
Offerings for 2021-2022 and 2022-23
Semester-long SST units coming up:
May 2022: Ecuador, Senegal (Ecuador is full; Senegal has just a few spots.)
Fall 2022: Ecuador* Spring 2023: Ecuador, Tanzania May 2023: Ecuador
* Fall Ecuador units include an American Sign Language component for ASL majors.
For details on these courses, see Global Engagement Immersive Offerings for 2021-2022All units in 22-23 have ample room.
Short-Term SST offerings:
Spring Term 2022
INTL271-01 Latino Community Histories
INTL271-02 Global Health with MCC
May Term 2022
INTL251 Youth and Resilience in Guatemala
INTL251 Chicago to Amish Country
INTL 271 Environmental Disaster and Response
INTL 251 Fictions of Empire in London
INTL251 Ecology and Sustainability in the Indian Himalaya
INTL271 Ecology and Sustainability in the Indian Himalaya (must take with INTL251 above)
INTL251 Ecological Economics in Arizona
The following web pages will help students decide how to earn their SST credit:
- Intercultural requirements reviews the ways to fulfill Goshen College’s expectations. They are an international SST unit, short-term courses in the U.S. or abroad and outside study abroad programs.
- Preparing for SST covers language requirements, costs, the orientation process and other basics students need to know to make an informed decision about a semester abroad.
- SST Current Destinations: Scan the pages on each country below. This will acquaint you with the opportunities and themes unique to each country.
China: Education in a communal culture
Ecuador: Indigenous cultures and sustainability
Indonesia: Interfaith dialogue in a religiously diverse society
Senegal: Post-colonial peacebuilding in a Muslim society
Tanzania: Migration of resources, people and ideas
- Overcoming Barriers addresses student hesitations about SST, including scheduling, the value of international education and identity concerns such as fears about racism.