Las familias son la clave del éxito…

Text and Photos by Kristopher Schmidt

Before each group of new students arrives in Peru, the Goshen Directors meet with the host families to explain the values of GC as well as the expectations and goals of the program.  My spanish is mediocre at best because I grew up in Canada where French is the only real immersion option.  So when I meet the families before they meet the students I need to memorize almost everything I am going to say.  The easiest phrase to remember is this – “Las familias son la clave del éxito” (I hope my grammar is okay Dean Rhodes!).  It’s an easy phrase to remember because it’s so true.  The families are the key to success.  Our students study a lot about Peru, reflect in writing and through discussion, visit museums, and serve in many different contexts that contribute to transforming their worldviews.  Despite all this, most of what they really learn is from their families.  They talk about politics and economics with them, they watch TV with them, they pray together and laugh together.  They stay friends after they are separated through various social media mechanisms.  The relationships and learning are profound.

Today was the last day of orientation and the first opportunity the students had to meet their host families (usually only one or two host family members do the pick-up).  Certainly all of the students were nervous.   Students practiced formal greetings prior to meeting their family members, and all exchanged small talk with their families before heading off into the various districts both near and far from the San Isidro district where we meet for class.  Students are living in both the residential areas of Lima and in the southern cone of the city.  We have students in Surquillo, Pueblo Libre, La Victoria, Chorillos, San Juan de Miraflores, Villa el Salvador, and Villa Maria del Triunfo.  Check out a map of Lima online or Google these districts to get a sense of where the students are.

Find your favorite student below (Note that Julian’s family wasn’t able to pick him up, so they ‘selfied’ later).