[student journal, posted with permission]
Since Friday (6/11) marks the half-way point, for this journal, I’ve decided to do a review of the first half by making a list of ten ways I have changed, in the past six weeks.1. I look forward to eating gallo pinto and sour cheese. To my surprise, this typical evening (and often breakfast) meal has grown on me. I like it better now than I even did at the beginning.
2. I get sleepy around 9 pm. At school, 9 pm – midnight were prime homework and socializing hours, but now if I stay up past 10 pm, it’s past my bedtime.
3. I am more afraid of insects. At home, I didn’t have to face off with the little beasts, but here a conflict or two a day with a cockroach or beetle is common. And frightening.
4. I eat much larger breakfasts and smaller suppers.
5. I have become much more confident in speaking Spanish. Stringing together a coherent sentence with correct word order & verb conjugation can feel so good sometimes.
6. I am more aware of how disabled a person is when they cannot verbally share thoughts or ideas. I hope this makes me a more empathetic person.
7. I have gotten to know a family in Nicaragua that lots of times, feels like my family.
8. I love my family and friends at home more after realizing how much I can miss them.
9. I have more self-confidence all around, but especially in being independent and making conversation with strangers.
10. I’m able to live without hot water–but I miss it all the more.