The “Listen & Learn” Steering Committee defined multiple opportunities for on-campus engagement on the anthem issue. These events were designed to encourage conversation and listen to concerns and perspectives. Participation was encouraged from all in order to summarize all perspectives (support, opposition, ambivalence, or otherwise) and report back to the Goshen College Board of Directors.
The scheduled on-campus events
- For teaching faculty on Feb. 17 at 8 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. in the College Mennonite Church Koinonia Room.
- For administrative faculty and staff on March 2 at 10 a.m. in the College Mennonite Church Koinonia Room.
- For students, a convocation on March 9 at 10 a.m. in the College Mennonite Church Fellowship Hall.
- For students, faculty and staff members, an open campus conversation event at 10 a.m. on April 13 in the College Mennonite Church Koinonia Room. The Steering Committee will report on themes from the internal gatherings to date, and also provide this all-campus gathering as one more opportunity to reflect and listen to one other.
Additional regional events inviting in-depth levels of engagement around the anthem decision, as it fits into the overall vision of the college, also were scheduled.
These are the dates, regions, locations and times for the Alumni & Friends Gatherings:
- Sunday, Jan. 30, Washington, D.C., Festival Center (in Adams Morgan), 1640 Columbia Rd NW, 7-9 p.m.;
- Monday, Jan. 31, Lancaster, Pa., Bird-in-Hand Family Restaurant, 2760 Old Philadelphia Pike, 7-9 p.m.;
- Thursday, Feb. 24, Middlebury, Ind., Das Dutchman Essenhaus, 240 US 20, 7-9 p.m.;
- Saturday, Feb. 26, Normal, Ill., Illinois State University, Alumni Center, Rm 116, 1101 N. Main St., 3-5 p.m. (note time change);
- Sunday, March 6, Coralville, Iowa, Iowa City Area Association of Realtors, 847 Quarry Rd., Suite 110, 3-5 p.m.;
- Thursday, March 31, Walnut Creek, Ohio, Carlisle Inn, 4949 Walnut Street, 7-9 p.m.;
- Monday, April 11, Indianapolis area, Carmel St. Vincent Office Building, 13450 N. Meridian St., Suite 255, 7-9 p.m.;
- Thursday, April 14, Goshen, Ivy Tech Community College, Community Room, 22531 Cty Rd. 18, 7-9 p.m.