Siblings Joshua and Caleb Liechty are no strangers to the stage. Joshua, who graduated from Goshen College in 2019, and Caleb, who graduated in 2018, performed together and on their own on GC stages throughout their college experience.
Now, they have joined their voices with their younger sister, Bekah, calling themselves “Girl Named Tom.”
The trio were the first act – and the first four-chair turn – on season 21 of NBC’s The Voice.
On The Voice, the trio opened with “Helplessly Hoping” by Crosby, Stills & Nash, showcasing their tight harmonies, which ultimately led to all four judges looking to bring them into their teams.
Following the judges’ pleas, they eventually chose to work with Kelly Clarkson.
Both Caleb and Joshua were molecular biology/biochemistry majors at Goshen, but split their time equally between the Science Hall and the Music Center. Their resumes boast singing with GC vocal ensembles like Chamber Choir and Vox Profundi, in musicals such as Pirates of Penzance, during Kick-Off talent shows and with Parables Worship Team. They even performed during the inauguration events for GC President Rebecca Stoltzfus.
Both dean’s list students, Caleb spent a summer internship studying muscular dystrophy in an Amish community, and worked as a health assistant in a hospital in Thies, Senegal during his Study-Service Term (SST) in summer 2016. Joshua spent a summer at the college’s Marine Biology Laboratory in the Florida Keys and travelled to Peru for his SST, where he worked in a health clinic and medical lab in the small town of Arequipa.
Following graduation, Caleb worked as a medical scribe while also focusing on music. Joshua launched right into Girl Named Tom after the siblings worked together on a song for a wedding and saw their potential.
During the pandemic, the siblings holed up in their parents’ home in Pettisville, Ohio, where they grew up, and began writing and recording music.
When they’re not touring, Caleb, Joshua and Bekah now live in South Bend, Indiana.
- Girl Named Tom takes world by storm – The Crescent-News
- South Bend band Girl Named Tom nails ‘The Voice’ audition. Work with Kelly Clarkson next – South Bend Tribune
- ‘The Voice’ Season 21: Who is A Girl Named Tom? Band gets first four-chair turn – MEAWW
- Liechty Siblings, aka ‘Girl Named Tom,’ Make Stellar Debut On ‘The Voice’ – Archbold Buckeye
- Three siblings representing South Bend make a splash on ‘The Voice’ – WNDU
- ‘We’ve Really Always Felt The Support Of Pettisville,’ Say Liechty Siblings – Archbold Buckeye