Parables, Goshen College’s worship ensemble, combines music, original drama and personal stories to create an engaging worship experience in congregations and other venues.
The program for 2017-18 is developed by the eight student members, with direction and leadership from Professor of Music Debra Detwiler Brubaker and administrative support from Dan Koop Liechty. Using dramas, personal faith stories and music from across the globe, the groups will reflect ideas on the theme “Together As One,” focusing on diversity within community and community in the midst of diversity.
- Rebecca Choi, a music education major from Arlington, Massachusetts
- Aidan Friesen, an environmental science major/chemistry minor from Goshen, Indiana
- Julian Harnish, a math major/music minor from Bluffton, Ohio
- Yejin Kim, a music for social change and piano major/Spanish and art minor from Seoul, South Korea
- Lauren Myers, a biology major/musical theater minor from North Manchester, Indiana
- Matthew Smucker, a music education major/Spanish minor from Goshen, Indiana
- Sharada Weaver, a nursing major/music minor from Hyattsville, Maryland
- Jonah Yoder, an interdisciplinary studies (music, theater, entrepreneurship) major from Goshen, Indiana
The students will share their own personal parables of times in their lives when they have experienced God directly and profoundly. The stories speak of emotional healing of self and others, serendipitous encounters that showed the activity of God in their lives, and times in their lives when service to others has been a direct channel to the Divine. Some of these stories are dramatized. A children’s story is included, and an offertory is also available if needed.
2017-18 schedule for Parables: (See the Parables Worship Team page for updates)
- Sep. 20, 7:30 p.m. – Preview Program, Rieth Recital Hall, Goshen College Music Center, Goshen.
- Sep. 23, 10 a.m. – Performance stage at the Michiana Mennonite Relief Sale, Elkhart County Fairgrounds, Goshen.
- Sep. 24, 7 p.m. – Michiana MCC Relief Sale Choir Concert (singing offertory during intermission), Sauder Concert Hall, Goshen College Music Center, Goshen.
- Oct. 7, 8:30 a.m. – Homecoming Alumni Breakfast, College Mennonite Church Fellowship Hall, Goshen.
- Fall Break Tour (October 14-20): Virginia, Maryland and New Jersey
- Nov. 19, 9:30 a.m. – College Mennonite Church, Goshen.
- Jan. 12-14 – Junior High Winter Camp, Camp Friedenswald, Cassopolis, Michigan.
- Jan. 21, 9:15 a.m. – Lockport Mennonite Church, Stryker, Ohio.
- Feb. 7, 6:00 p.m. – Pizza & Parables with area youth groups, Rieth Recital Hall, Goshen College Music Center, Goshen.
- Feb. 11, 8:00 & 10:45 a.m. – Waterford Mennonite Church, Goshen.
- Mar. 25, 9:30 a.m. – Goshen College, worship for Admitted Student Weekend, Goshen.
- Apr. 18, 7:30 p.m. – Goshen College Home Program, Rieth Recital Hall, Goshen College Music Center, Goshen.
Performance dates are still being confirmed and more will be added throughout the year. For more information about Parables and scheduling the group, contact Dan Koop-Liechty at (574) 535-7002 or e-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.