During the 2017 Agroecology Summer Intensive, undergraduate students were required to reflect at the end of each week and share what they wrote with staff and instructors. What students documented about their thinking and learning was profound, revealing discovery of possible career aspirations, but also inspiring for the readers to experience. Here is one example from a student reflection in July 2017:

“It strikes me as a little bit funny that after a summer of delving into agriculture and the food system, I would be most fascinated by weeds, something regarded as a perpetual inconvenience. I have always loved plants, and am fascinated by disturbance tolerant species. I am amazed at the incredible diversity of species that continue to exist, despite our best efforts to take them out of the picture.”

Is it surprising that college students at private four-year liberal arts institutions can be captivated by topics and phenomena such as weeds, soil, animal husbandry, and making compost? Is it rare to raise a garden and learn to cook with ingredients straight from the field, while in the middle of college? I imagine so. But, the opportunity does exist, right here in northern Indiana.

We can choose to prioritize time spent outside, and students can choose do deep learning outdoors. There is more to gain than simply college credits. I’m reminded of an Annie Dillard quote, “How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.”

We at Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center and thus Goshen College hope that noteworthy experiences in college—raising healthy food, caring for the Earth, being in community—will have profound impacts on students for a lifetime and perhaps lead to life-giving habits. We hope that a summer spent in the soil and learning in the field will set the stage for taking leadership in stewarding land in a respectful way.