Better World Books
Assist in the management of the operational and fiscal activities of the retail store, with particular focus on the customer experience. Supervise employees in accordance with company policies and procedures to drive profitability and customer loyalty.
- Store Operations –
- Customer & Community Care –
- Provide customer service by greeting and assisting customers, and responding to customer inquiries and complaints.
- Direct and supervise store employees engaged in sales, inventory-taking, reconciling cash receipts, or in performing services for customers in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Monitor sales activities to ensure that customers receive excellent service and quality goods.
- Inventory stock and reorder as necessary.
- Train employees on how to handle difficult and complicated sales.
- Hire, train, and evaluate employees. Make recommendations for changes such as promotions and disciplinary actions, as necessary.
- Plan and develop systems and procedures to improve the operating quality and efficiency of the store.
- Analyze and document business processes and problems. Develop solutions to enhance efficiencies.
- Establish employee goals and assist with employee performance reviews.
- Responsible for staff scheduling to include: work assignments, PTO usage, breaks, overtime, back-up for absent employees, and shift rotations.
- Responsible to meet productivity and quality goals.
- Operate a computerized point of sale cash register and inventory management system; including the accurate entering of sales information; receiving payment for products; processing credit card transactions; making correct change; processing refunds, exchanges and voids; and issuing gift certificates and credit slips.
- Develop programming to enrich the community and increase traffic into the retail space.
- Work with local literacy partners to ensure mutual satisfaction of services.
- Actively engage customers in conversation and actively assist in the understanding, demonstration, description and selection of merchandise.
- Maintain and enhance the store appearance including keeping merchandise neatly organized and attractively displayed.
- Accurately execute retail special orders (in house, phone and web) including accurate sales information to customer (cost, tax, shipping fees), order fulfillment, payment and shipping.
- Design and implement special projects as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- A minimum of 5 years of retail experience including at least 2 years in a leadership role.
- A strong interest in social enterprise and/or book industry required.
- Previous experience in community development/partnerships required.
- Alignment with core values of BWB:
- Customer Focus – We are driven to provide customers a highly-valued experience, and one that allows them to align their action with their values. We want to be their favorite marketplace and their favorite partner, so we incorporate their input into everything we do.
- People Matter – We seek out talented people who are hardworking and invest in them. We respect each individual, reward achievement and celebrate team success.
- Do the Right Thing – We strive to do the right thing at all times, with all people and all issues.
- Foster Innovation – We look for new ideas and bold moves while we embrace and create change.
- Passion for Literacy – We are committed to the cause of literacy. Every person should have the chance to achieve their potential and participate fully in society.