Assistant Professor of Art
- BA, Goshen College, 1997
- MFA, East Carolina University, 2007
- Design I
- A beginning course focusing on art elements and principles. Through experimentation, exercises, specific problems and using basic media and techniques, the student becomes familiar with fundamental visual concepts. Studio experience, critique and some research/writing are included. Encouraged as a first course in art.
- Three-dimensional design in metals including basic fabrication techniques, silver soldering, cold connections, stone setting, chain making and polishing processes. Includes study of historical and contemporary work in metal.
- Advanced Jewelry
- Three-dimensional design in metals that builds on the basic metals techniques presented in Art 217, focusing on continued concept and technical skills and lost wax casting or enameling processes. Includes study of historical and contemporary work in metal. Prerequisite: Jewelry.
- Contemporary Art History
- A survey of major art movements, architecture and artists since the mid-20th century.
- Senior Seminar
- Integrating creative endeavors, life’s purpose and faith. Issues concerning professional, vocational, ethical, theological and historical dimensions of being an artist are explored. Prerequisite: Required of all senior art majors; consent of instructor.
Awards and Publications
1st place award, jewelry category. Alchemy, 13th Juried International Enamel Exhibition.
Metalsmith Magazine, Vol. 32/No./2012, p. 21
Sumptuous Surfaces: Enameling and Electroforming, Penland School of Craft, Penland, NC, 2012
Textured and Layered Pendants, Arizona Designer Craftsman, Tucson, AZ, 2011.
The Body Adorned, Online juried exhibition, Society of North American Goldsmiths, 2012.
Permutations, Solo exhibition, Sarah B. Smith Gallery, Charlottesville, VA, 2012.
Crafts National, Juried exhibition, Mulvane Art Museum, Topeka, KS, 2012.
CU 29: Contemporary Work in Copper, National juried exhibition, Mesa Contemporary Arts Center, Mesa, AZ, 2012.
Handcrafted, National juried exhibition, Maria V. Howard Arts Center, Rocky Mount, NC, 2012.
Alchemy, Juried International Enamel Exhibition, 1st Place Award-Jewelry Category, various venues in Tennessee, 2011.
Tangent to the Earth, Solo exhibition, Angelo Gallery, Charlottesville, VA, 2011.
Alumni Exhibition, Wellington B. Gray Gallery, Greenville, NC, 2011.
Faculty Exhibition, Abner Hershberger Gallery, Goshen, IN, 2011.
Conferences and Workshops attended
Inter-Connections: Michigan Silversmiths Guild, 2012.
Bag of Tricks: Penland School of Craft, 2011.