Professor of Social Work
- Serve on the planning group for an Elkhart chapter of Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ).
- Serve as a founding member of the Elkhart County Collaborative Practice Taskforce, with the mission of improving services to divorced and separated parents and their children.
- Serve on the Elkhart System of Care Evaluation Committee (the SOURCE).
- Serve as co-chair of the Northern Indiana Be SMART committee. (Be SMART is a national public education campaign aimed at reducing suicides and unintentional shootings that occur when children get a hold of an unsecured firearm.)
- Continue to teach in the BSW degree completion track of the Social Work Education Program. Courses taught this year include: Methods of Social Research, Social Work Field Instruction, Social Work Senior Seminar, Practice Theory I, Introduction to Social Work, and Transforming Conflict and Violence. I also serve as faculty advisor to all students in the BSW degree completion track. Last, I am Field Instruction Coordinator for the Social Work Education Program.
- Completed the Association of College and University Educators (ACUE) Effective Teaching Practices course, March 2019.
Presentation, “Be SMART Program” to the Elkhart County Department of Child Services management team, May 1, 2019.
Presentation, “How to Help Anxious Children and Teens” to Bashor Children’s Home staff, April 17, 2019.
Presentation, “Harnessing the Power of Groups” (in-service training) to Ryan’s Place staff and volunteer facilitators, December 9, 2016.
Presentation, “Working Together to Help Families: Understanding the Impact of Parental Conflict on Children” to the Elkhart City Bar Association meeting, November 17, 2016.
Presenter, “Assessing and Treating Childhood Anxiety Disorders” at the 4th Annual Environmental Health Symposium, Elkhart General Hospital, Elkhart, Indiana, September 12, 2012.
Panelist, “Theatrical Activism: From Michiana Monologues to Community
Dialogues”, a roundtable presentation at the Center for Women’s Intercultural Leadership conference, St. Mary’s College, Notre Dame, Indiana, October, 2010.
Presenter, “Looking outward: Utilizing local universities and colleges to help with grief research,” at the 14th Annual Symposium of the National Alliance for Grieving Children, Cleveland, Ohio, June 25, 2010.
Presenter, “Identifying Best Practices for Providing Outreach to Ethnoracial Minority Groups,” at the 13th Annual Symposium of the National Alliance for Grieving Children, Long Beach, California, June 26, 2009.
Presenter, Opening Session, “The Many Faces of Grief,” at the 7th Annual Grief Seminar, October 16, 2009, Goshen College.
Presenter, “Cultural Variations in Mourning,” at the 6th Annual Grief Seminar, October 17, 2008, Goshen College.
Presenter, “Student Organization and Performing Feminist Consciousness-Raising on College Campuses,” at the 28th annual meeting of the National Women’s Studies Association, June 28-July 1, 2007, St. Charles, Illinois.
Presenter, “Bridging Academics and Student Life: Women’s Studies and Gender Programs in Christian Higher Education,” at the 26th annual meeting of the National Women’s Studies Association, June 10, 2005, Orlando, Florida.
Presenter, “Developing Effective Communication Skills,” 11th Annual Dimensions in Pediatrics Conference, May 21 and June 28, 2004, South Bend, Indiana.
Presenter, “Psychosocial Care of Dying Children and Their Families,” 10th Annual Dimensions in Pediatrics Conference, May 15 and 29, 2003, South Bend, Indiana.
“Function versus Cause: Moving beyond Debate,” Praxis, Fall 2006, 6, 44-49.
“A Retreat for Families of Recently Diagnosed Children with Cancer,” Cancer Practice, March/April, 1997.
The Chrysalis Award, given to me by the Ryan’s Place Board of Directors.
Arthur J. Schmitt Dissertation Fellowship, Loyola University Chicago, to support my dissertation research (assessing grief centers’ outreach efforts to ethno-racial minority groups).
Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Indiana
National Association of Social Workers
Council on Social Work Education
International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
Association of Family and Conciliation Courts