Goshen College invites applications for a full-time Communications and Marketing Manager.
The Communications and Marketing Manager is responsible for implementing key activities of Goshen College’s communications and marketing strategy and operations as a writer/editor (news, emails, features), social media accounts manager, events promoter and point person for media relations. They are an institutional storyteller and sharer of institutional messaging, using written, visual and social tools to produce and share those stories, the news and messages.
This position is responsible for communicating about Goshen College to internal and external constituents through professionally written communications, shared through traditional (news releases) and electronic (email, web and social media) channels. This position implements marketing plans, including communication flows (particularly for enrollment and advancement) and advertising.
This is a full-time, salary exempt position eligible for full benefits including medical, dental, vision, retirement, life, FSA, paid parental leave, vacation and sick leave, and tuition discounts. See more benefits details here.
Storytelling, news writing and editing – 40%
- Planning, writing and editing feature and news stories to help achieve increased positive awareness and visibility of Goshen College locally, regionally and nationally.
- Seek regular contact with student leaders, faculty and staff to identify compelling stories for pitching to media and sharing in print and electronic mediums that promote the mission, vision and core values of the institution.
- Distribute news releases and maintain media lists, including for sharing hometown news.
- Attend campus events and report on campus news, some of which may take place
outside of normal business hours.
- Produce monthly “Bulletin Points” emails for alumni, donors, parents and employees to stay engaged with the news and opportunities at GC.
- Curate and maintain content to keep goshen.edu/news relevant and up to date.
- Assist the Director of Communications and Marketing during crises or high-profile GC events on/off campus – contribute to problem solving and demonstrate ability to communicate honestly without compromising institutional interests.
- Serve as an Assistant Editor (editing news, writing features) for GC’s magazine, The Bulletin, published twice annually. Serve as Editor for the monthly e-newsletter, Bulletin Points, for alumni, friends, parents and employees.
- Work closely with the team from the Communications and Marketing Office, as well as others on campus, to identify creative new ways to promote Goshen College. Bring enthusiasm for GC initiatives and help identify better and more effective ways of delivering news to appropriate publics.
- Recruit, train and supervise writing workers/interns during the school year and the summer, meeting with them regularly, distributing information and other materials, and editing their work.
Marketing Coordination – 35%
- Ensure timely and accurate implementation of the annual traditional undergraduate and adult/graduate communication flow plans (email and print)
- Ensure timely and accurate implementation of the annual advertising plan; including vendor communications and coordination.
- Ensure timely and accurate implementation of the annual events marketing plan: coordinating production of semi-annual campus events mailings, monthly events posters, monthly events emails, and all paid promotion of events.
- Ensure timely and accurate implementation related to any promotional emails needing to be distributed by the office or for campus clients.
- Draft and/or proofread marketing and communications copy as needed for various channels (e.g. email, website, digital ads, radio, print, news releases, alumni magazine).
- Initiate design requests with the Graphic Designer to develop artwork for marketing and communications pieces.
- Plan and implement basic content updates to the Goshen College website and social media sites, including handling basic content change requests made by campus clients.
- Coordinate the ordering of GC branded giveaways.
- Provide support on various communications and marketing projects as needed.
Social media management – 20%
- Assist with Goshen College’s institutional social media presence. Share Goshen College content produced both in-house and externally on relevant institutional social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn).
- Help maintain GC’s brand through social media “listening,” monitoring and engagement.
Miscellaneous – 5%
- Review and approve submissions to the Communicator email each day – making sure they meet established guidelines for inclusion.
- Regular administrative tasks: Monitor the office’s email account, coordinate office mail, order and maintain appropriate office supplies and equipment; and process timely payment of all invoices and credit card transactions.
- Student assistants: social media assistants, writing assistants
- Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing or a related field
- Experience: 1 year of relevant experience
- Strong writer and editor; particularly for audience-centered and action-oriented web and marketing content. Superior English usage, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Demonstrated experience with very basic HTML and web content management
- Highly organized and detail-oriented; able to complete tasks accurately and on time
- Ability to excel under deadline pressure and cope well under stress; to prioritize work; to handle a variety of projects simultaneously
- A positive, solutions-oriented and flexible attitude; including an ability to relate well to internal and external clients and vendors
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality
- Good judgment
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills as needed
- Experience: 2-3 years of relevant, full-time professional experience
- Experience with WordPress and email marketing systems
- Experience with marketing analytics applications, including Google Analytics
- Experience with basic use of Adobe Photoshop
- Proficiency in speaking and writing Spanish
- Interest in higher education (college) environment
- Use highly developed verbal communication skills
Candidates must be committed to the community standards, mission and core values of Goshen College.
About Goshen College:
Goshen College is a liberal arts institution dedicated to the development of informed, articulate, sensitive and responsible Christians. It is nationally ranked for its study abroad programs. As a ministry of the Mennonite Church, the institution seeks to integrate Christian values with educational and professional life. Goshen College has adopted five core values around which programs are built: 1) Christ-centered; 2) Passionate Learners; 3) Servant Leaders; 4) Compassionate Peacemakers; and (5) Global Citizens. The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County within several hours of Chicago, Indianapolis and Detroit. Residents of Goshen enjoy a culturally diverse small-town atmosphere with an active arts community, a vibrant downtown, the Maple City Greenway network of bicycle paths, and affordable housing prices.
How to apply:
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted below, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Professional Staff and Staff Application Form or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete and submit the online Professional Staff Application Form
- Letter of application
- List of three professional references with contact information
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. With a commitment to building a diverse faculty and staff, underrepresented persons are encouraged to apply.
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status. To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors, and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111