ENL Substitute Instructor
Goshen College is dedicated to developing a world in which our social structures and everyday interactions are based on the premise that justice, mutuality, respect, equality, understanding, acceptance, freedom, diversity and peacemaking are the norm.
The Adult & Graduate Studies program offers an English as a New Language Program for adult learners of all levels in our community. English language classes run three days per week (Tuesday through Thursday) from 9:00 to 11:00 a.m. in Elkhart and from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. in Goshen. Classes are offered in the fall semester (August – December) and spring semester (January – May).
The Adult & Graduate Studies program is looking for experienced English language instructors to teach English classes at all levels in the absence of the regular teacher throughout the duration of the program. Normally, the program runs for 16 weeks per semester.
- Provide thoughtful, interactive English language instruction to students throughout the duration of the course
- Follow the lesson plans already created by the regular teacher, but in a long-term role, create their own lesson plans in accordance with established curriculum and learning outcomes for the class
- Support students in identifying their own personal learning objectives and making the instructional design responsive to these objectives
- Keep accurate records of attendance and homework hours
- Promote motivation to lead students through successful course completion
- Administer pre-test and post-test exams as needed
- Provide support during registration and evaluation sessions if needed
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2+ years experience teaching English as a Second Language
- 2+ years work experience with immigrant communities of diverse backgrounds
- Certificate in teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL) or related subject is preferred
Position type and expected hours of work
- This is a part-time position
- Ability to work flexible hours based on the needs of the program
- Be available to substitute the ENL instructor in short-notice
- Typical hours of work will be Tuesday through Friday 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. and/or 6:00 – 8 p.m.
- Occasional weekday work will be required as job duties demand (Professional development/Registration)
The English Language Substitute Instructor will report to the Director of Community Engagement and Adult Outreach
How to Apply:
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted below, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Faculty Information Form or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the online Faculty Information Form
- Cover letter
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status. To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors, and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
This job description is not intended to provide an all-inclusive listing of related job activities. The instructor may be requested by management to perform other related activities in place of or in addition to those representative activities noted in this job description. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111