Land and Facilities Management Assistant for Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center
Goshen College seeks a Land and Facilities Management Assistant for the Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center. This position primarily supports the work of Merry Lea’s Land Manager and Property Supervisor. Duties include assisting with natural areas management tasks (e.g., invasive species management, prescribed burns, tree trimming, etc.), management of grounds (e.g., mowing turfgrass, clearing fallen leaves, etc.), and maintenance of trails and outdoor structures (e.g., bridges, boardwalks, trail shelters, etc.). A lesser portion of time will be spent assisting the Building Manager with building maintenance and repair tasks, and performing custodial work.
This is a full-time position that includes full benefits.
Assist with natural areas and facilities maintenance (60%)
- Assist Land Manager with natural areas management tasks (invasive species management, prescribed burns, tree trimming, etc.)
- Assist Property Supervisor with management of grounds and outdoor facilities (maintenance of trails and associated structures including bridges and boardwalks, clearing debris from trails and sidewalks, clearing snow, brush hogging, maintaining property boundaries, etc.)
- Mow turf grass from spring-autumn and clear/collect fallen leaves from lawns in autumn
Assist with building maintenance (30%)
- Provide limited support to Building Manager in the maintenance and repair of buildings and their operating systems, including HVAC, electrical, and plumbing
- Perform weekly light custodial work in Learning Center and Oshtemo common areas
- Perform additional light custodial as needed in program spaces in advance of these spaces being utilized for special events or by rental groups
- Perform periodic heavy custodial (heavy cleaning, tables and chairs, floor and carpet care, windows) in program and residential buildings
- Arrange for the procurement and storage of custodial supplies
- Collect and dispose of trash from program buildings
- Provide for the collection and disposal of recyclables
- Identify and bring to the supervisor’s attention any unsafe conditions for employees or the public
Other program support (10%)
- Assist with setup and cleanup for public events
- Periodically assist with processing firewood, moving picnic tables, and moving straw/hay bales for program needs
- Complete other tasks as assigned by the supervisor
- Represent Goshen College’s and Merry Lea’s values and policies when interacting with students, visitors, employees, volunteers, and community members.
- Attend monthly all-staff meetings
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma and 4 years of related experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in Land Management, Natural Resource Management, or a related field and 1 year of related experience preferred
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
- Driver’s license
Skills & Competencies:
- Experience operating commercial riding mowers
- Experience operating and maintaining light power equipment and tools related to natural areas management (chain saws, weed trimmers, backpack sprayers, etc.)
- Basic computer skills
- Competency in basic internet operation
- Good communication skills
- Experience maintaining commercial riding mowers
- Experience operating heavy equipment and farm machinery
- Basic carpentry skills
Work Environment/Environmental Condition:
Indoor environmental conditions for a portion of the time, but the majority of work will take place outside where there is exposure to inclement weather, pollen and spores, venomous snakes, ticks, biting insects, falling limbs, and lightning. Moving equipment, sharp tools, engine fumes, chemicals, petroleum, and smoke and heat from prescribed burning also pose risks.
All of the essential job functions are subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform other job-related instructions as requested by the supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and may change at the option of the (supervisor or department head). Any major change will result in the position being reviewed for reclassification.
About Goshen College
Goshen College is a Christian liberal arts institution that prepares students to thrive in life, leadership and service. We rank nationally in the top five of liberal arts colleges for international education, with 71% of the student body studying abroad. We strive to model an inclusive community committed to transformative justice, peace, and sustainability.
The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County, within several hours of Chicago, Indianapolis, and Detroit. Residents of Goshen enjoy a culturally diverse small-town atmosphere with an active arts community, a vibrant and entrepreneurial downtown, the Maple City Greenway network of bicycle paths, and affordable housing prices.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted below, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the or sent electronically to email@example.com.
- Complete and submit the online Staff Application Form
- Cover Letter
- List of three professional references with contact information
This position pays $15-$16 per hour and will remain open until March 31, 2023. Review of applications will begin as they are received.
- Insurance: Medical/Rx (employee premium paid by Goshen College), Dental, Vision
- Life/Accidental Death & Dismemberment (premium paid by Goshen College)
- Flexible Spending Account
- Long Term Disability
- Paid Parental Leave
- Vacation/Sick Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Tuition Discounts
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status. To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111