Assistant Professor of Education
Goshen College invites applications for a full-time Assistant Professor of Education to teach Education and Literacy courses beginning in August 2023.
Candidates must have expertise in literacy, with additional experience in one or more of the following: Secondary education, online education, or other general teacher education coursework.
Primary teaching responsibilities will be in the area of literacy instruction in the traditional undergraduate teacher education program and online Transition to Teaching program. Other courses will be assigned based on the candidate’s experience and expertise. The successful candidate will also be able to demonstrate strengths in curriculum and program development.
In addition to teaching, the position includes advising and mentoring an increasingly diverse student body and supporting and developing departmental adult and undergraduate programs.
The department offers the following majors, minors and licensure areas: K-6 Elementary Generalist, K-6 Elementary/ Special Education Dual Licensure, K-6 Elementary/ EL Dual Licensure, 5-12 Secondary, P-12 All grade, Transition to Teaching (TtT), TtT for the Working Teacher (evening and online), EL Licensure, and a Disabilities Studies minor. All members of the department have opportunities to develop courses within their expertise.
Goshen College is a teaching college with a load of 24 credits each year, and all teaching faculty serve on institution-wide committees and assist with advising, as well as recruiting prospective students. Candidates must be interested in working closely with students and fellow faculty members as part of a small, vibrant campus and community.
- Prepare course syllabi for assigned courses in collaboration with department chair and program director.
- Teach assigned courses with appropriate active and engaged learning practices.
- Mentor students through advising and recruiting activities.
- Participate in department, school and college meetings.
- Develop and revise in person and online courses/programs particularly as they are related to literacy.
- Pursue appropriate professional development opportunities, including scholarly activities.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Masters degree required
- Teaching in the K-12 setting with a license for a minimum of 3 years
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching
- Commitment to working with diverse populations
- Commitment to the mission and core values of Goshen College
- Collaborative, innovative teacher-scholars dedicated to undergraduate teaching in an inclusive academic and campus community
- Excellent aptitude and ability in teaching
- Interest in community collaboration and service
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with colleagues and students
- Contribute knowledge and ideas to department and college endeavors
- Terminal degree: PhD or EdD
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the college/university level
- Experience teaching in an online environment
- Scholarly publications or professional presentations
All of the essential job functions are subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform other job-related instructions as requested by the supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and may change at the option of the supervisor or department head.
About Goshen College
Goshen College is a Christian liberal arts institution that prepares students to thrive in life, leadership and service. We rank nationally in the top five of liberal arts colleges for international education, with 71% of the student body studying abroad. We strive to model an inclusive community committed to transformative justice, peace, and sustainability.
The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County, within several hours of Chicago, Indianapolis, and Detroit. Residents of Goshen enjoy a culturally diverse small-town atmosphere with an active arts community, a vibrant and entrepreneurial downtown, the Maple City Greenway network of bicycle paths, and affordable housing prices.
How to apply for this position:
Required materials may be attached to the Faculty Information Form or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
Complete the online Faculty Information Form and send:
• Letter of application
• Curriculum Vitae
• Three professional letters of reference
Review of applications will begin in March 13, 2023 and continue until the position is filled. With a commitment to building a diverse faculty and staff, minority persons are encouraged to apply.
To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111