Goshen College seeks a Resident Director for the 2023-2024 academic year. Under the direction of the Director of Residence Life, the Resident Director provides live-in administrative leadership for one or more residence halls. This position supervises student resident assistants and participates as a member of the Residence Life leadership team. The Resident Director represents Student Life’s interest in the daily operation within the Residence Life program areas, interprets policies and regulations, and represents students’ concerns to Student Life.
This is a 10-month position starting August 1, 2023 through May 31, 2024. To balance the current staff, we request that only applicants who identify as female apply for this position. Housing and meals are included.
Essential Functions and Duties
- Supervises 5-7 student Residence Life staff
- Recruit and participate in the staff hiring process
- Helps staff to become an effective working team
- Assists staff in program planning for their residents
- Helps staff to become effective role models
- Effectively manage hall and activity program budgets
- Provides regular feedback and an annual evaluation to each staff member
- Supervises room check-in, check-out, and charges for damages
- Supervises room key distributions and collection
- Instructs staff and students in acceptable methods of altering or personalizing their rooms
- Reports need for work-order repairs or equipment to the physical plant
- Supervises student use of storage facilities
- Works with student to maintain a safe and orderly living environment
- Helps to plan and implement August and January training for student staff
- Collaborates with other departments on campus, as needed
Collaborates with Director of Residence Life
- Give and receive counsel and support – provide leadership in the housing selection process
- Interpret and support institutional policy
- Identify, assess, and resolve problems with connector lounges and public spaces in the residence halls.
- Intervene in crisis; rotates on-call accessibility with the Residence Life team
- Represents student concerns and needs to the Director of Residence Life
- Respond to violations of the Student Handbook
- Participate in the Student Conduct process
Relates to students within the residence halls and on campus
- Responds to requests for information and assistance from students
- Provides counsel and support to students
- Refer students to counseling services, academic advisors, and other resources, as needed
- Visits residence hall floors regularly to build relationships with students
- Maintain a visible profile at various events on campus
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Ability to respond to crisis situations involving mental health that require engagement with mental health care providers.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Ability to plan innovative activities for student engagement.
- Ability to perform in a flexible live-in work schedule that includes nights, and weekends; balance many tasks simultaneously, and work well both independently and cooperatively with others.
- Ability to maintain a positive approach under pressure.
- Empathetic and sensitive to the needs of young adults.
- Basic skills interpersonal relationships, conflict management, and confrontation skills.
About Goshen College
Goshen College is a Christian liberal arts institution that prepares students to thrive in life, leadership and service. We rank nationally in the top five of liberal arts colleges for international education, with 71% of the student body studying abroad. We strive to model an inclusive community committed to transformative justice, peace, and sustainability.
The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County, within several hours of Chicago, Indianapolis, and Detroit. Residents of Goshen enjoy a culturally diverse small-town atmosphere with an active arts community, a vibrant and entrepreneurial downtown, the Maple City Greenway network of bicycle paths, and affordable housing prices.
How to Apply:
If you are applying through Indeed or another search engine, please make sure to go to www.goshen.edu/employment to apply.
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted below, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Faculty Information Form or sent electronically to email@example.com.
- Complete and submit the online Teaching and Administrative Faculty Application Form
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- List of three professional references with contact information
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status. To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111