Goshen College seeks a Front-End Web Developer to provide leadership for Goshen College websites and services including www.goshen.edu (a WordPress multisite) and related sites. Working within the enrollment and marketing division as part of the communications and marketing team, and working closely with the IT department, this position advances the design and function of these sites as well as providing ongoing content maintenance and support. Web-based services are increasingly strategic to service-delivery for all GC constituencies, thus the position has significant impact on enrollment, retention, development, academics and public perception of the college.
This is a full-time, exempt-level position with benefits that include:
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Retirement plans
- Tuition discounts
- Flexible Spending Account
- Paid holidays, vacation/sick/parental leave
- Free employee membership to Recreation-Fitness Center
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts degree or Bachelor of Science degree required, preferably with an academic focus in computer science, informatics, business information systems, digital media or a related field.
- Experience working in a communications/marketing environment, particularly in a college or university setting, preferred.
Skills and Competencies:
- Experience with WordPress site management.
- Some experience with command line tools, regular expressions, backend languages (e.g. PHP, Python) and databases (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL).
- Strong online portfolio displaying responsive, user-centered design and demonstrated experience improving website performance and SEO.
- Ability to implement, maintain, and improve data quality across user tracking systems (e.g. Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, Facebook, Marketo, Salesforce).
- Advanced form creation and integration knowledge.
- Attention to detail, customer-service orientation, and creativity in problem solving.
- Ability to work in a team and communicate effectively with internal (faculty, staff and students) and external clients and partners.
- Be able to communicate well with others, self-motivated, productive, organized and able to work closely with others for positive outcomes. Be able to manage the work of and mentor student assistants. Be able to balance multiple projects, with sometimes competing deadlines, at the same time.
- 2-3 years of experience with WordPress multisite management.
- Ability to make recommendations to backend developers about improving server-side performance (e.g. implementing HTTP/2 or a caching server).
- Experience with AGILE or sprint design processes (sketching on paper first, getting feedback soon, building barebones prototypes in browser, testing)
- Working knowledge of Vue.JS
- Experience with package manager (e.g. npm)
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Maintenance and technical support duties are occasionally required outside of normal work hours
Candidates must be committed to the community standards, mission and core values of Goshen College.
About Goshen College:
Goshen College is a liberal arts institution dedicated to the development of informed, articulate, sensitive and responsible Christians. It is nationally ranked for its study abroad programs. As a ministry of the Mennonite Church, the institution seeks to integrate Christian values with educational and professional life. Goshen College has adopted five core values around which programs are built: 1) Christ-centered; 2) Passionate Learners; 3) Servant Leaders; 4) Compassionate Peacemakers; and (5) Global Citizens. The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County within several hours of Chicago, Indianapolis and Detroit. Residents of Goshen enjoy a culturally diverse small-town atmosphere with an active arts community, a vibrant downtown, the Maple City Greenway network of bicycle paths, and affordable housing prices.
How to apply:
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted below, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Staff Application Form or sent electronically to email@example.com.
- Complete and submit the online Staff Application Form
- Letter of application
- List of three professional references with contact information
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. With a commitment to building a diverse faculty and staff, underrepresented persons are encouraged to apply.
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status. To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors, and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
Telephone: (574) 535-7111