Campus Safety Officer
Goshen College invites applicants for the full-time position of Campus Safety Officer for daytime weekdays and overnight/weekend shifts.
This position pays $15.00 per hour.
Campus Safety Officers are on duty for 8-hour shifts, Monday through Friday.
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. : days
4:30 p.m. – 12:30 a.m.: evenings
12:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.: nights
And/or 12 hour shifts on weekends:
12:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. or
12:30 p.m. – 12:30 a.m.
The primary role of an officer on duty is to offer routine campus patrols and monitor activity of 19 campus buildings, 14 parking lots, and 135 acres of grounds. The ability to interact interpersonally with college students and other college personnel is essential. This includes verbal skills, interpersonal awareness, and writing skills in providing digital written reports for documentation. This individual will need to represent themselves and their role in a professional and competent manner. Officers will need to meet the physical demands of the job which includes: some light lifting (up to 40 lbs.), climbing stairs, and agility to respond quickly to potential campus emergencies.
The Mission of Campus Safety is to monitor, secure, report, and enhance the living, learning, and working experience at Goshen College. Forming an alliance with the community that we serve; officers are committed to the philosophy of “Community Care-taking”.
- Carry the Campus Safety smartphone to provide excellent customer service for addressing the needs and campus concerns of our faculty, students, and patrons of the community.
- Lock and unlock all campus facilities as defined by the Director of Campus Safety and the Shift Timeline Calendar.
- Complete routine campus patrols; cognizant and aware of any odd circumstances or events on campus.
- Serve as a deterrent to crime, enforce traffic/parking regulations, confront suspicious persons and activity on campus.
- Approve and distribute new parking permits to students and faculty throughout the year.
- Provide routine inspections of campus parking lots—ticketing illegally parked vehicles and implementing necessary parking fines.
- Report facility maintenance issues (work orders) to Physical Plant; including after hour calls to proper facility managers for emergency repairs.
- Assist authorized persons who may need into locked buildings after hours.
- Provide student escort services to and from buildings after dark upon request.
- Observe and report electronic entry control concerns in the residence halls and motion activity at the campus athletic facilities.
- Check fire extinguishers and AEDs on a monthly basis.
- Assists residence hall staff with emergencies, disturbances and enforcement of college policies.
- Respond to campus fire alarms with proper notification of 911 services and communication with alarm company.
- Work alongside the Events Office in providing additional support of college hosted programs.
- Complete thorough documentation for shift activity, incident reports, fire alarm responses, and crime reporting.
- On occasion cover other campus safety shifts throughout the year as a substitute for other campus safety.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED required, bachelor’s degree a plus.
- Law Enforcement Training or previous work in safety and security a plus.
- Must have good knowledge of FERPA regulations as well as all Goshen College policies and procedures.
- Must have good knowledge of various computer software systems and administration, primarily Google Services and iOS Smartphone operations.
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills in reporting.
- Must be able to use good judgment in decision making and honor confidentiality as required as a part of this role.
- Must have a strong commitment to customer service.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid Driver’s license
- Must be willing to attain knowledge and participate in training for CPR and AED management.
- Self-motivated, demonstrates initiative
- Flexible work hours
- Honest, trustworthy
- Empathetic and sensitive to needs of young adults
- Basic skills in interpersonal relationships, conflict management, and confrontation
- Ability to organize and manage details
- Ability to set reasonable and effective limits
- Effective verbal and written communications skills
- Willingness to participate in intensive supervisory process both with students and members of the student development division
- Must be able to lock down buildings, and patrol campus in an efficient and timely manner.
- Move quickly to respond to campus emergencies.
- Do some light lifting and bending up to 40 lbs. (i.e. moving traffic cones, ice melt buckets).
- Climbing several flights of stairs in non-ADA accessible buildings.
- Drive and operate an electric 4-seat sidewalk vehicle.
- Work some late nights, weekends, and holidays required.
Work Environment/Environmental Conditions:
This position (divided into 8hr and 12hr shifts) will provide late night and early morning service for safety and security campus patrols during the week and 24/7 on the weekends. All of the essential job functions are subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform other job-related instructions as requested by the supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and may change at the option of the (supervisor or department head). Any major change will result in the position being reviewed for reclassification.
Campus Safety members are always in uniform and carry a two-way radio and smartphone with them at all times. They are not armed and do not have law enforcement authority or the power to arrest. An excellent relationship exists between the College and the Goshen Police Department and Goshen Fire Department. Regular meetings occur between Campus Safety and Goshen Police officials on a formal and informal basis; officers confer regularly as responsibilities dictate around incidents that occur in and around the campus area. There is no written memorandum of understanding between Goshen Police Department and Campus Safety. Campus Safety also occasionally works with the Elkhart County Sheriff’s Department and the Indiana State Police Department.
About Goshen College
Goshen College is an affordable, nationally-ranked Christian liberal arts college in Northern Indiana known for leadership in intercultural and international education, sustainability and social justice. The college offers bachelor’s degrees in more than 65 areas of study, as well as select graduate degrees. Goshen enrolls approximately 950 students from 35 states and 23 countries and is recognized for its innovative, life-changing study abroad program (Study-Service Term) and exceptional educational value. The 135-acre tree-filled campus features a world-class Music Center and a Rec-Fitness Center for 14 intercollegiate athletic teams. The extended campus includes a 1,189-acre natural sanctuary (the Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center near Wolf Lake, Ind.) and a marine biology lab in the Florida Keys. Rooted in the historically peaceful Mennonite church and established in 1894, the college’s Christ-centered mission produces passionate learners, compassionate peacemakers, global citizens and servant leaders. The college’s doors are open to all, with students from 40 different Christian denominations and several world religions. Experiential learning, faculty mentors and strong friendships are significant community strengths for students.
The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County in Northern Indiana, just a couple of hours from Chicago, Indianapolis and Detroit. Goshen was named the 2017 Indiana Community of the Year by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce for its amazing arts and entertainment, food scene, recreational opportunities, outstanding schools, affordable living, cultural diversity and entrepreneurial spirit. Learn more at goodofgoshen.com.
How to Apply:
If you are applying through Indeed or another search engine, please make sure to go to www.goshen.edu/employment to apply.
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted below, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Staff Application Form or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete and submit the online Staff Application Form
- Three professional references with contact information
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status. To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111