Goshen College seeks applicants for an experienced leader to serve as the full-time Human Resources Director. Reporting to the Vice President for Communications and People Strategy, the Human Resources Director is responsible for the overall health and development of the employee experience.
Goshen College is a nationally-recognized, private Christian liberal arts college shaped by the Anabaptist-Mennonite tradition. With approximately 300 employees, including more than 100 teaching faculty members, Goshen College is committed to providing a workplace that cultivates joy, growth and purpose for all members of the campus community. The Director will play a pivotal role in influencing the institutional practices that make Goshen College a great place to work.
The Director will provide leadership, guidance, expertise and oversight in the day-to-day operations related to all areas of human resources, including the employee lifecycle, strategic planning, employee relations, performance and talent management, HR forecasting, compensation and benefits management, leaves, payroll, recognition programs, occupational health and safety, conflict management and disciplinary matters, investigations, and HR legal compliance. The Director will also modernize human resources processes and systems working closely with IT, accounting, and other operations colleagues.
The Director of Human Resources focuses on developing collaborative relationships as a trusted advisor and valued administrative partner. In support of institutional strategic directions, this role will enhance diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives—alongside the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee—by implementing best practices in recruiting and retaining employees, creating supportive environments and implementing training programs for teaching faculty, staff and administrators to facilitate ongoing growth. The Director will be expected to interact on strategic matters with the president and vice presidents, and to interact in authentic and supportive ways with employees at all levels of the institution.
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of five years experience in a Human Resources leadership position required; e.g. HR Manager.
- Understanding of Microsoft Office suite, Google Docs, and relevant HR systems software.
- Strong team leader with an ability to empower others and work in a collegial culture.
- Communicate in a clear, effective and concise fashion verbally and in writing with a wide variety of people.
- Possess and exercise exceptional judgment and the ability to influence and persuade.
- Be a self-starter and capable of working independently.
- Have the ability to cast a vision, define necessary projects, and effectively manage those projects through to completion.
- Give attention to detail, strive for accuracy and complete tasks.
- Able to resolve complex employee relations matters and handle confidential matters professionally.
- Possess excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- An appreciation of the Anabaptist-Mennonite faith perspective and be committed to the mission, vision, core values and community standards of Goshen College.
- Master’s in Human Resource administration, Business, Organizational Development or related field.
- SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP or PHR/SPHR certification.
- Prior human resource management experience in a higher education setting.
- Experience with Jenzabar Human Resources and ADP software.
- Health, dental, vision, life, and LTD insurance
- Retirement plans
- Tuition discounts
- Flexible Spending Account
- Paid holidays, vacation/sick leave
- Free employee membership to Recreation-Fitness Center
About Goshen College:
Goshen College is a nationally-ranked college in Indiana; renowned for its purposeful and integrated curriculum, its distinctive hands-on, real-world educational opportunities, and its commitment to creating positive change in the world. Located in the city of Goshen, the college’s 135-acre tree-filled campus is home to 950 students, including more than 40% that identify as students of color or from countries outside of the U.S. It offers over 65 undergraduate areas of study; as well as best-in-class graduate programs in nursing, business administration, and environmental education. Named the #1 Bachelor’s College in Indiana by Washington Monthly and listed among Princeton Review’s Greenest Colleges, Goshen prides itself on providing an integrated and multifaceted education that connects arts with sciences, and foundation with practice — exposing students to multiple perspectives and encouraging them to think deeply and live purposefully. With 98% of graduates entering their careers or pursuing further education within a year of completion, Goshen students graduate prepared to thrive in their lives and careers; and to make meaningful and measurable impacts on their communities and their relationships with others.
The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County, centrally located within several hours of Chicago, Indianapolis and Detroit. Residents of Goshen enjoy a culturally diverse small-town atmosphere with an active arts community, a vibrant downtown, the Maple City Greenway network of bicycle paths and affordable housing prices.
How to Apply:
If you are applying through Indeed or another search engine, please make sure to go to www.goshen.edu/employment to apply.
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted below, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Faculty Information Form or sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete and submit the online Faculty Information Form
- Cover Letter
- List of three professional references with contact information
Review of applications will begin February 1, 2022 in this search process and continue until the position is filled.
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status. To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
Telephone: (574) 535-7111